This is my own car.

< Previous | Next >

kimconu

Vietnamese
I. 1 and 2, are they the same?

1. We can use "own" to emphasize that something belongs to somebody (not somebody else).

- This is my own car / house / pen.

- These are her own gauze masks.

2. We can use "of + my/your/her … own" to emphasize that something belongs to somebody (not somebody else).

- This is a car / house / pen of my own.

- These are gauze masks her own.

II. And we would not use "own" to show ownership of a person, we don’t say :

- This is my own mother.

- He is my own father.

- She is my own wife.

- He is my own boyfriend.

- She is my own love.

Am I correct?

Thanks!

• owlman5

English-US
    1. We can use "own" to emphasize that something belongs to somebody (not somebody else).

- This is my own car / house / pen.
    :thumbsup: But this sort of emphasis is fairly unusual, Kim. Most of the time, This is my car is enough to express your ownership of a car.

2. We can use "of + my/your/her … own" to emphasize that something belongs to somebody (not somebody else).

- This is a car / house / pen of my own.
    Of my own is possible, but it is even more unlikely than own in ordinary talk about the ownership of something. People sometimes use it after a noun to express a strong desire to possess something: All I ever wanted was a house of my own.

II. And we would not use "own" to show ownership of a person, we don’t say :

- This is my own mother.
    This doesn't seem any more unlikely to me than This is my own car. Once again, strongly emphasizing your personal possession of something -- a car, a parent, an idea, etc. -- is fairly unusual. If you need that emphasis, it is fine to use the word own, but people don't need that sort of emphasis very often in ordinary speech or writing.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >