The window faced out onto the backyard.

alejandro1987

español
Hola, gente. Necesito ayuda con esta preposición.

The window faced out onto the backyard, a long green rectangle with the gray-shingled garage to the left, a tall picket fence to the right.

No entiendo por qué usa "onto". Yo usaría "to" o "at", supongo. Pero tengo entendido que "onto" implica movimiento. Gracias por adelantado.

• The Newt

English - US
    "The window faced out onto" es completamente correcto. Otra posibilidad es "the window faced the backyard," sin ninguna preposición y sin "out."

"Onto" no implica movimiento (en este caso) sino orientación.

gengo

American English
    The window faced out onto the backyard, a long green rectangle with the gray-shingled garage to the left, a tall picket fence to the right.

This may just be my personal preference, but I don't really like "to face out onto." I would prefer one of the following.

The window faced the backyard
    The window looked out onto the backyard

That is, I use "to face" without a preposition, and to me it makes more sense to use a preposition with "to look." In this case we need a double preposition to convey two ideas: out meaning from the inside of the house toward the outside, and onto telling us what the window was "looking" at.

That said, "to face out onto" seems to be in use by educated speakers, so I suppose it's correct.