The interesting this [thing] is that it's free. (Subjunctive)

< Previous | Next >

wg123

English - British
Hi,

When using the 'lo + adjective + es que' construction, do you use the verb in the subjunctive.

The interesting this is that it's free.

Lo interesante es que sea gratis OR lo interesante es que es gratis.

Gracias!

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Here's my take on it:
    A is addressing B.
    If B already knows that it's free, and A is commenting, rather than informing, then "...que sea gratis."
    If the que-clause is new information for B, then "...que es gratis."

aldonzalorenzo

Castellano
    A is addressing B.
    If B already knows that it's free, and A is commenting, rather than informing, then "...que sea gratis."
    If the que-clause is new information for B, then "...que es gratis."
    I think in your first sentence we would still say "que es gratis".

What I thought for the subjunctive is the case when two people are planning something. For instance, to give a workshop on line. And then they'll say: "Lo interesante es que sea gratis para conseguir muchas suscripciones y conocer gente nueva".

Last edited:

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    lo interesante es que es gratis = We know it is free.

Lo interesante es que sea gratis = We don't know if it is free.

There is something about the second sentence that does not sound good to me. With "interesante" I would use the first "ser" in the conditional and the second "ser" in the perfect subjunctive:

Lo interesante sería que fuera gratis.

I we used "importante" for example, the verb in the present would sound fine to me: "lo importante es que sea gratis".

Don't ask me why.

Last edited:

lagartija68

Castellano rioplatense
    "Lo interesante es que sea gratis" no implica necesariamente que no sepamos si es gratis o no.
    Puede ser que el indicativo refuerce la afirmación del hecho. Pero, aun sabiendo que es gratis, podemos decir "Lo interesente es que sea gratis."

< Previous | Next >