the blurb on the back

< Previous | Next >

artimedoros49

English
Hello,

What would be the best word for „blurb“ in the below context?
According to the blurb on the back (of the book), this is a classic of German fiction.
I have found the following: reklama, záložka, upoutávka, text na přebalu. Any oneof these?

Thank you for your help.

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi arti, I (non-native) would expect to see upoutávka (na obalu) in your context. Upoutávka describes what the material is supposed to do - grab your attention - rather than what form it takes (text, film clip, flags, light display, poster, on-screen pop-up, etc) and it often means a trailer or a teaser for a film. As your context makes it clear you're talking about a book, you can probably omit "na obalu" if there's no risk of misunderstanding.
    Desku vystihuje upoutávka na obalu „It’s a Rock album. It’s a Prog Album. It’s a Funky album. It’s a Pop album. (progboard.com)
    The blurb on the cover says it all: ...

Přečetl jsem Druhý dech habsburské monarchie a musím uznat, že upoutávka na obalu nijak nepřehání. Skvěle napsaná kniha působivě hájí ideje monarchismu ... (lvisingr.czweb.org) ... and I have to say the cover blurb is in no way over the top

SUPER POTRAVINY (...) UPOUTÁVKA NA OBALU: (nazoryarecenze) What the blurb says ...
    In the context of a book, I'd expect záložka to mean a bookmark. Reklama is "advertising" or "publicity", and wouldn't necessarily be taken to mean "blurb". There's nothing wrong with "text na přebalu" but that's neutral, not stylistically marked. "Blurb" may not always be taken as neutral, e.g. "Dear Professor Kensington-Smythe-Fortnightly, we are shortly publishing a definitive guide to ancient Sumerian bronze artefacts and we wonder if you, as a distinguished academic with many years of valuable expertise in this field, would like to write the blurb?" o_O

Last edited:

Pavlous

Czech
    Hi arti, I (non-native) would expect to see upoutávka (na obalu) in your context. Upoutávka describes what the material is supposed to do - grab your attention - rather than what form it takes (text, film clip, flags, light display, poster, on-screen pop-up, etc) and it often means a trailer or a teaser for a film. As your context makes it clear you're talking about a book, you can probably omit "na obalu" if there's no risk of misunderstanding.

In the context of a book, I'd expect záložka to mean a bookmark. Reklama is "advertising" or "publicity", and wouldn't necessarily be taken to mean "blurb". There's nothing wrong with "text na přebalu" but that's neutral, not stylistically marked. "Blurb" may not always be taken as neutral, e.g. "Dear Professor Kensington-Smythe-Fortnightly, we are shortly publishing a definitive guide to ancient Sumerian bronze artefacts and we wonder if you, as a distinguished academic with many years of valuable expertise in this field, would like to write the blurb?" o_O
    :thumbsup: I agree

< Previous | Next >