Terrapiattista

< Previous | Next >

NdR

Italian
Hi there, here's my post about a possible translation for 'terrapiattista' in English. Unfortunately a one word conversion is not achievable and to the best of my knowledge the sense can be likely put as 'flat earth believer' or 'flat-earth believer'.
I reckon 'member' doesn't convey the sense for a vast majority of those who naively think the earth is flat but aren't part of the so-called 'flat earth society'.
Alternatively 'earthling' is a second option combined with the other words like 'flat-planet earthling', but it sounds too complex.

• rrose17

Canada, English
    But Joan is right. A flat-earther is the commonly used term. Earthling is someone from the planet Earth. A flat earthling would sound like someone from the planet Earth who themselves is flat. o_O

london calling

UK English
    But Joan is right. A flat-earther is the commonly used term. Earthling is someone from the planet Earth. A flat earthling would sound like someone from the planet Earth who themselves is flat. o_O
    Yes, I was imagining a sci-fi film in which cruel aliens squashed the inhabitants of Earth like flies. 🤣

NdR

Italian
    Thank you all folks. And the winner is ... flat earther. I cross-checked the term on the net and I could get a few articles using it. Perhaps 'believers' can also be used to stress the religious-like attitude within a proper context of reference. So the question is ... why is the term not an entry in the dictionary?

rrose17

Canada, English
    Just to add that if you can use a little longer term "member of the flat Earth society" is another common one. I don't want to post any links. It's all too depressing. :(

< Previous | Next >