Swedish: till + endings

< Previous | Next >

Moorland

English - England
I've often wondered why the prefix "till+ending" appears so often in Swedish with many different meanings such as "tillförlitlig" meaning reliable and say "tilllhöra" meaning to belong to among many others. Are there any comparisons in English ?

• Svenke

Norwegian
    The examples that you mention are both metaphorical. I think in most cases of Swedish till- (Danish and Norwegian til-) there is actually a meaning of 'to, in the direction of', but frequently metaphorical.

Note that tillhöra is English belong to. What belongs to someone/something, should go to that someone/something.
    Tillförlitlig is used about someone that you give your trust (lit) to.
    Of course, it's not always as clear as in these cases, but I think it's good to think of till- as usually having the literal or metaphorical meaning 'to'.

Moorland

English - England
    Presumably these are prepositions then....?

If so then they could pose the same difficulties for those learning English as well, though I've no idea what sort of mistakes the Swedish make :)

tatüta

Deutsch - BRD
    The examples that you mention are both metaphorical. I think in most cases of Swedish till- (Danish and Norwegian til-) there is actually a meaning of 'to, in the direction of', but frequently metaphorical.

Note that tillhöra is English belong to. What belongs to someone/something, should go to that someone/something.
    Tillförlitlig is used about someone that you give your trust (lit) to.
    Of course, it's not always as clear as in these cases, but I think it's good to think of till- as usually having the literal or metaphorical meaning 'to'.
    In Swedish "till" is indeed considered a preposition, usually with the meaning "in direction of", not a prefix because it is separable. There are english composites that are built in the same way, most prominently the adverb together/tillsammans and of course towards.

< Previous | Next >