Dutch-Flemish
Hi,
<ο γείτονάς σας είναι θορυβώδη>
θορυβώδη root θόρυβο (θορυβώ)
Q: Are there many or few words with the substantive + suffix δη
I think: few.

• Helleno File

English - UK
    There are possibly a couple of hundred! From αγχώδης to χυμώδης including ενστικτώδης, ομιχλώδης, and τερατώδης. Too many to count. I have to confess... I have Collins Greek - English dictionary on my mobile and you can search with a wild card at the front!! :D

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Well, I had it all wrong of course, :oops: I I wasn't thinking of ώδης but of -δη, struck by θόρυβο /θορυβώ+ δη. But of course that's a word ending on o/ώ, so the suffix would be ώδης and not -δη

There are possibly a couple of hundred! From αγχώδης to χυμώδης including ενστικτώδης, ομιχλώδης, and τερατώδης. Too many to count. I have to confess... I have Collins Greek - English dictionary on my mobile and you can search with a wild card at the front!! :D
    αγχώ/αγχo I don't find as a substantive

My Collins website doesn't offer Greek Spanish Translation of “homely” | Collins English-Spanish Dictionary
    The suffix is -ώδης (ώδης m.& f., -ώδες n.), and there are many. HF is right.

This is page 1 out of 8 pages, though some adjectives are not common:
    Παράλληλη αναζήτηση
    That's the way to search indeed.:thumbsup:
    There will be some not ending on - o, like γυναικώδης,

Last edited:

Armas

Finnish
    The suffix is -ώδης (ώδης m.& f., -ώδες n.), and there are many. HF is right.

This is page 1 out of 8 pages, though some adjectives are not common:
    Παράλληλη αναζήτηση
    Looks like searching for *ώδης in the parallel search only finds entries in the Kriaras dictionary, because in ΛΚΝ the headwords of such words also include -ης -ες (e.g. αγχώδης -ης -ες). If you want to find those entries in the parallel search, you need to search for "*ώδης -ης -ες", which returns 144 results.

dmtrs

Greek
    What do you mean by "the exact same substantive"?
    "X"+ώδης always means "having the quality, properties etc. of X".

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Yes that's exactly what I didn't know (or I had forgotten) when I opened the thread.

I went looking for other substantives that stayed in exactly the same ortography when adding + δη(ς). That would be substantives on o/ώ.

But the suffix is ώδης and not δης

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >