squid or calamari?

< Previous | Next >
  • BocaJuniors

Spanish & English (parejos y por añales)
    The word calamari is the plural form of the Italian word for squid, Calamaro.
    It's calamar in Spanish. The name derives from the Latin word calamarium for "ink pot."

Since calamari seems to sound more palatable than the word squid, you will most often see squid recipes listed as calamari on restaurant menus, recipes, etc. It's one of those words that just "sounds better" or "has class," according to some people. Whether you eat calamari or squid, you're eating the same critter.

Good day :)

zumac

USA: English & Spanish
    Squid is "pulpo' in Spanish.
    Cuttlefish is "calamar" in Spanish.

They are very similar except that squid are much larger. If you go to a fish market, you can appreciate the difference in size. Why the Italians call squid as calamari, I don't know.

Spanish recipes use both squid and cuttlefish, depending on the dish.

Saludos.

zumac

USA: English & Spanish
    Calamar is squid and pulpo is octopus.
    Cuttlefish is jibia.
    I've been eating "calamares en su tinta" all my life. It's one of my favorite dishes. In the Basque Country, where my father's from, calamares are called "chipirones." I've only had "pulpo", which I consider squid, a few times. Compared to calamares, they're too tough for my taste.

So, I've never had a problem naming these dishes in Spanish. The problem arises when you try to translate them into English, and I admit that I'm not an expert on this. I have never gone into a restaurant anywhere and ordered the English equivalent of "calamares" or "pulpo."

Saludos.

jj3118

English y Español (Costa Rica)
    I dont really think you can say you consider pulpo to be squid. It just is not the correct word. Consider dishes such as Pulpo a la Gallega,

I consider my car my home but it doesnt make it a house lol :)

BocaJuniors

Spanish & English (parejos y por añales)
    Calamar is squid :tick:and pulpo is octopus:tick:.
    Cuttlefish is jibia:tick:.
    Vamos vamos ... dejemos de confundir a Dorita2 con regionalismos o con "yo pensaba que se decía así ... ". Los nombres científicos no mienten ni dejan dudas:

Squid, calamari, calamar común: Loligo vulgaris.
    Octopus, pulpo común: Octopus vulgaris.
    Cuttlefish, jibia (y que no es nada más que un calamar gigante pero una especie diferente): Dosidicus gigas.

Dorita2 ya había dado las gracias. Saludos :)

< Previous | Next >