Significance of your country's flag

< Previous | Next >

irisheyes0583

English (USA)
Hi, I would love to know the symbolism behind your national flag.

The US flag has the following significance: The 50 stars in the upper left-hand corner represent the 50 states. The 13 stripes represent the 13 original colonies. There is no official reason why the colors are red, white, & blue, but some say that white means purity and innocence, red means bravery, and blue means vigilance, perseverance, and justice. Our flag's nickname is "Old Glory", but we usually just refer to it as "The American Flag".

• Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    Spain's flag (one big yellow stripe between two red stripes) is a kind of 'design flag', which was first displayed in the XVII century by the Navy and then adapted for civil use. It is based, I think, in Crown of Aragon's flag (four red bars on yellow).

Spanish current shield is based in Catholic Kings', composed of four quarters fo the four medieval kingdoms composing Spain (Castille, Leon, Aragon crown -Aragon, Catalonia and Valencia- and Navarre) plus a small granade fruit (for Granada kingdom) and three 'lys' flowers (for Borbón royal family).

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    Brazilian flag:

The flag colors, green and yellow, are associated to the royal house of Bragança (Portugal) from which D Pedro I was a member and to the Habsburg's royal house from which the empress D Leopoldina was a
    member.
    During dictatorship we were taught at school that the colors represented
    our forests (for green) - natural resources- and our mineral resources (for yellow) - gold. Today this is still the way that is popularly known.
    The inscription Order and Progress inside the white stripis amotto attributed to the French positivist August Comte.
    In the blue circle there are stars representing , each one, all the states
    of the country . The astronomic position of the Acrux and Gacrux stars
    from Cruzeiro do Sul (Southern Cross) constellation features the position they were observed on an eclipse over Rio de Janeiro in the morning of the republic proclamation on November 15, 1889, and that of the night on May 13, 1888 when Princess Isabel declared the slaves freeded.

Jana337

čeština
    The red-blue-white Czech flag is inspired by the Dutch one, but the influence came via Russia. OK, some chronology :):

Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia and a great admirer of the Dutch
    shipbuilding and naval prowess, visited the Netherlands in the 17th century to observe the its burgeoning shipping industry. Upon return to Russia he built up his own shipping fleet and designed a
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    flag in honor of the Netherlands, but he changed the ordering from
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    That flag eventually became the state flag of Russia (after 1917 it was replaced by the infamous hammer and sickle in a red field, but in the 1990s, the pre-revolutionary flag was reinstated).

In the 19th century, the Pan-Slavic idea became hugely popular in most (if not all) Slavic countries of Central and Eastern Europe, then under Prussian, Austrian or Hungarian control. However ironic it might sound with the advantage of hindsight, Russia was believed to be a guarantor of liberty for small Slavic nations. Anyway, at the Pan-Slav convention held in Praha in 1848, a Pan-Slavic flag was approved. It consisted of three stripes of the same colors, but, for a reason unknown to me, in yet another order:
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    The new political set-up after the World War I, outlined in the Versailles Treaty and other documents, gave birth to independent Slavic countries. Most of them adopted the Pan-Slavic design, i.e. three vertical stripes in blue, white and red. Here's a nice overview.The Czechoslovak flag was a bit more innovative: It consisted of a white and red stripe with a blue wedge coming from the left.

Before
    Czechoslovakia split in 1993, the federal parliament had agreed that neither successor state would use the common symbols, but the Czech parliamentary assembly chose to ignore the decision, which provoked some resentment in Slovakia, but the issue soon sank into oblivion (after all, it was them who filed for divorce :)).

Jana

xx¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
    xxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

santi

colombia-english-spanish
    hi all :cool:

well the Colombian flag is represented by three colors they are yellow which stands for all the (gold)riches that lie within our country, blue stands for the two oceans that sorround us (Pacific and Atlantic), and red stand for all the blood spilled by our ancestors to free our country.hope you enjoy ohhhh and to whomever asks about the Ecuatorian and Venezuelian flags I'll remind ya'll that in the begining these three wereone nation that's the reason why they have the same colors.... peace and love to all :cool:

this is

LV4-26

The French flag is blue-white-red
    Before the French Revolution the flag was the King's flag : it was all white with a lily flower on it.
    After (or was it during ?) the French Revolution, they kept the white to symbolize monarchy, added the blue and the red which were the colours of the city of Paris and they placed them on either side of the King's colour.

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    The Portuguese flag.

The website in the link above explains the symbology of the flag in great detail, but, since it's in Portuguese, I've tried to make a little summary:

The white colour (in the shield) is "a brotherly colour, a colour of simplicity, harmony, and peace". The red colour stands for "combatiness, virility, warmth, and joy". The green colour stands for hope.

The armillary sphere symbolizes the Portuguese discoveries. The shield essentially symbolizes the foundation of Portugal, and the red strip with the castles around the shield symbolizes "national integrity and independence".

Brioche

Australia English
    Jana337 said:
    The red-blue-white Czech flag is inspired by the Dutch one, but the influence came via Russia. OK, some chronology :):

Jana
    Some say the Dutch flag was the inspiration for the French tricolore - it's a Dutch flag "on its side."

The Belgian flag is based on the French tricolore.

The Irish Tricolour flag: Green/White/Orange, with green for Catholics, orange for Protestants and white for peace between them, is also inspired by the French flag and the flag of Newfoundland.

jorge_val_ribera

Español
    santi said:
    well the Colombian flag is represented by three colors they are yellow which stands for all the (gold)riches that lie within our country, (..)and red stand for all the blood spilled by our ancestors to free our country.
    Wow, the Bolivian flag has almost the same simbolism! But there's one color which is different:

RED represents the blood spilled by the brave men who fought for the liberty of our country.
    YELLOW represents the riches in our country (minerals, etc.).
    GREEN represents the nature in our country.

Bye!

Mita

Chile - Español
    * See this about the Chilean flag. :)

The flag of Chile consists of two equal horizontal bands of white (top) and red; there is a blue square the same height as the white band at the hoist-side end of the white band; the square bears a white five-pointed star in the center representing a guide to progress and honor; blue symbolizes the sky, white is for the snow-covered Andes, and red stands for the blood spilled to achieve independence.
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,

asm

Mexico, Spanish
    The Mexican flag has three colors, green, white and red. In the white part there is an eagle, eating a snake while it stands on a cactus (nopal). This eagle is our national emblem and comes from the tradition that Aztecs should stop they nomadic journey if they saw an eagle, on top of a cactus, eating a snake (experts say that's almost impossible for an eagle to eat the snake under those circumstances, but we are talking about traditions and myths).
    The original flag was similar as the one we have now, the only change is the eagle; it looks like they took a new picture of the eagle, in the past it was the front, now the you see the eagle from one side. The colors had (for the first flag) the following meanings: green = independence, white = catholic church (religion), and red = union.

After Juarez, the president who separated church and state, the colors changed their meanings: green = hope, white = purity, and red = blood (shed by our heroes) .

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

irisheyes0583 said:
    Hi, I would love to know the symbolism behind your national flag.

The US flag has the following significance: The 50 stars in the upper left-hand corner represent the 50 states. The 13 stripes represent the 13 original colonies. There is no official reason why the colors are red, white, & blue, but some say that white means purity and innocence, red means bravery, and blue means vigilance, perseverance, and justice. Our flag's nickname is "Old Glory", but we usually just refer to it as "The American Flag".

Roi Marphille

Catalonia, Catalan.
    Well, the Catalan flag has a beautiful legend behind. Check here if you want. Some people say it is true but I don't think so!
    It is said to be one of the oldest flags in the world.

Colours are: yellow with four red stripes. It was the flag used by the Kingdom of Aragon.
    As a curiosity, few people know that the very first flag of Catalonia was the Sant Jordi' flag (Saint George's), which is the very same as England's nowadays. The reason is that Sant Jordi is also the patron here.
    Salut,

Roi

Mei

Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Roi Marphille said:
    Well, the Catalan flag has a beautiful legend behind. Check here if you want. Some people say it is true but I don't think so!
    It is said to be one of the oldest flags in the world.

Colours are: yellow with four red stripes. It was the flag used by the Kingdom of Aragon.
    As a curiosity, few people know that the very first flag of Catalonia was the Sant Jordi' flag (Saint George's), which is the very same as England's nowadays. The reason is that Sant Jordi is also the patron here.
    Salut,

Roi
    I don't know if it's true, I wasn't there but I like to think that it's true... :eek:

Salut!

Mei

kiro

UK / English
    Roi Marphille said:
    Salut,
    Roi
    You're right, Roi. I had always wondered why the St.George's Cross appeared on the FC Barcelona emblem, until I discovered that he was also the patron saint of Catalonia (as well as other places).

Apparently, St.George was a Christian martyr from the time of the Crusades, and the cross (red on a white background) was worn on the uniform of English soldiers during military expeditions to recapture the Holy Land from Muslims. It officially became the national flag of England around 1277 (<<this info from Wikipedia).

The flag of the United Kingdom is the Union Flag, which is an amalgamation of the St.George's Cross (England, also nominally representing Wales), St.Andrew's Cross or "Saltire" (Scotland) and St.Patrick's Cross (Ireland).

A common misconception is that this is the "English" flag,
    whereas it actually represents the whole union.

Roi Marphille

Catalonia, Catalan.
    kiro said:
    The flag of the United Kingdom is the Union Flag, which is an amalgamation of the St.George's Cross (England, also nominally representing Wales), St.Andrew's Cross or "Saltire" (Scotland) and St.Patrick's Cross (Ireland).

A common misconception is that this is the "English" flag,
    whereas it actually represents the whole union.
    Exactly, what about this other curiosity few people realised..
    Union Jack/Flag is not SYMMETRIC!
    I noticed few years ago.

kiro

UK / English
    Roi Marphille said:
    I noticed few years ago.
    Haha, yes!
    I remember I had to draw it when I was in the Boy Scouts, and it was hell to get it right. :p

kiro

UK / English
    Brioche said:
    St George traditionally died on 23 April 303, nearly 800 years before the Crusades.
    Just goes to show you can't trust amateur encyclopedia compilers...

hiwelcome

France French
    Les trois couleurs du drapeau français ont été créées officiellement, pour l'armée, par le décret du 27 juillet 1789..
    The 3 colours of the French flag were officially created, for the army, by decree, on July 27,1789.

Lancel0t

Philippines - Filipino/English
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    I\ I /IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    I=O=IIIIIXII ---------------------------
    I/ I \IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Here is simple sketch of the Philippine Flag

Red symbolizes bravery
    Blue Peace
    White purity
    Yellow splendid

3 Stars - 3 main islands (Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao)
    Sun with 8 rays - symbolizes the 8 major provinces that revolt agains the spaniards during the colonization

Gustavoang

Venezuela / Castilian
    santi said:
    hi all :cool:

well the Colombian flag is represented by three colors they are yellow which stands for all the (gold)riches that lie within our country, blue stands for the two oceans that sorround us (Pacific and Atlantic), and red stand for all the blood spilled by our ancestors to free our country.hope you enjoy ohhhh and to whomever asks about the Ecuatorian and Venezuelian flags I'll remind ya'll that in the begining these three wereone nation that's the reason why they have the same colors.... peace and love to all :cool:

this is
    Yes, just to confirm that these colors represents the same for the Venezuelan flag.

Definitely it's related to The Gran Colombia.

Regards.

Mei

Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Hi there,

The spanish colours come from Castil and Aragon province's arms and first appeared in the flag at 1785. But they featured in the current desing only since 1939, when the Fascist victors of the Civil War abolished the governament's red, yellow and purple horitzontal tricolor. The state flag has the arms set towards the hoist in the yellow band. They compromise, in a shield, the arms of the provinces, with the royal Bourbons' fleurs de lis badge in the center. Above is a crown and on either side the Pillars of Hercules, boundaries on the ancient world; the sea is at their base and a scroll aroung reds Plus Ultra (More Beyond), recalling overseas exploration and the Spanish American Empire.

Here you have it:

http://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3DKVSUGUBYZPT0K3IRAHARLWDY

I must say that I was helped to write this, I just want you to understand it.... :eek:

Cheers

Mei

Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    Mei said:
    Hi there,

The spanish colours come from Castil and Aragon province's arms and first appeared in the flag at 1785. But they featured in the current desing only since 1939, when the Fascist victors of the Civil War abolished the governament's red, yellow and purple horitzontal tricolor. The state flag has the arms set towards the hoist in the yellow band. They compromise, in a shield, the arms of the provinces, with the royal Bourbons' fleurs de lis badge in the center. Above is a crown and on either side the Pillars of Hercules, boundaries on the ancient world; the sea is at their base and a scroll aroung reds Plus Ultra (More Beyond), recalling overseas exploration and the Spanish American Empire.

Here you have it:

http://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3DKVSUGUBYZPT0K3IRAHARLWDY

I must say that I was helped to write this, I just want you to understand it.... :eek:

Cheers

Mei
    Well, they are in the current design since 1785. Only in the 1936-9 period it was otherwise.

And yes, I forgot the Pillars of Hercules.

Heba

Egypt, Arabic
    The Egyptian flag has three colours: red, white and black. There is also an eagle on the white stripe.
    The color red refers to the blood shed during the struggle for freedom against the colonizers and the dictatorship of the monarchy.The white symbolizes the advent of the 1952 Revolution which ended the monarchy without bloodshed. The color black symbolizes the end of the oppression of the people of Egypt at the hands of the Monarchy and occupation. As for the eagle, it is the eagle of Salahuddin El Ayoubi (Saladdin), the Ayubbid Sultan who ruled Egypt and Syria in 12th Century.

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    The Finnish flag is similar to the flags of the other Nordic countries but with distinctively different colours: blue cross on white background. Blue is the colour of the sky or the thousand lakes, white is the colour of snow.

The government flag has the arms of Finland in the middle of the cross.

Finland is one of the few countries that have a different flag for pleasure boats of yacht clubs: it has a thin white cross on the blue cross, and the blue colour is darker than in the national flag. This flag is in fact older than the national flag and the independency of Finland itself.

winnie

italy, italian
    Italian flag:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Italian flag is a variation of the French revolutionary flag blue/white/red
    the blue was replaced by green which in the Masonic symbolism meant 'nature' and 'natural rights' like liberty and equality.
    it seems that this flag was seen for the first time in 1796 when Napoleon led the Italian revolutionary troops against Austrian troops.

I.C.

D
    Lancel0t said:
    3 Stars - 3 main islands (Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao)
    Sun with 8 rays - symbolizes the 8 major provinces that revolt agains the spaniards during the colonization
    Thought the triangle might be considered a reference to trinity.

German flag, black, red, gold, to my knowledge derived from the colours the Lützower Jäger had incorporated in their dress during the Napoleonic Wars (which were the starting point for a movement promoting the unification of Germany, which was split in several smaller states back then).

sunbeam1

English, Scotland
    The scottish flag is the st andrews cross, and i believe that it originates in shape from the shape of cross st andrew was crucified on. Years later when king angus went to battle with the picts and scots against the angles, its said that st andrew came to him in the night and said he would win. Then when he went to battle the clouds made the shape of the cross against the blue sky...they won! Its been the scottish flag ever since, and is known as the Saltire.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We do have another less used but equally recognised flag but no way i can draw it, its the "rampant lion", or the royal standard of scotland. Not sure exactly of origins, but always see it at football and rugby matches along with the saltire!!!

Laia

Catalan, Spanish
    sunbeam1 said:
    The scottish flag is the st andrews cross, and i believe that it originates in shape from the shape of cross st andrew was crucified on. Years later when king angus went to battle with the picts and scots against the angles, its said that st andrew came to him in the night and said he would win. Then when he went to battle the clouds made the shape of the cross against the blue sky...they won! Its been the scottish flag ever since, and is known as the Saltire.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We do have another less used but equally recognised flag but no way i can draw it, its the "rampant lion", or the royal standard of scotland. Not sure exactly of origins, but always see it at football and rugby matches along with the saltire!!!
    Aye! When I was in Scotland I saw the two different flags...

greetings from wee Laia! :D

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    sunbeam1 said:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Did you know that the Scottish flag with the St. Adndrew's cross is practically a 'negative' of the Russian naval ensign!

Miguelillo 87

México español
    I was wondering What is the meaning of your flag?

Mexican flag it's, Green, white and red, In the white part has an eagle eating a snake.

The green means the hope of the population
    the white.- the pure mind of the population
    The red means the blood which was spread for our national heroes.

And the eagle eating the sanke it's there because when Mexico coty was found by the Aztecs , it was found because the Aztecs were told by their God,That they have to buil its city where they found a eagle eating a snake above a nopal, That's why untill our time this eagle it's ymbol f the people of mexico and also our national shield.
    See her for see our flag.
    http://www.paises.com.mx/mexico/bandera.html

pickypuck

Extremaduran Spanish
    Mei said:
    But they featured in the current desing only since 1939, when the Fascist victors of the Civil War abolished the governament's red, yellow and purple horitzontal tricolor.
    Apparently it had two colours before the Second Republic. They put the purple one due to chromatic confusion :confused:

The flag of Extremadura has three colours but now I'm very lazy to explain the meaning of them :p

¡Olé! :cool:

The Extraordinary

Greek, Greece
    the Greek flag consists of 9 srtipes (blue and white) and a box at the top left that contains a white cross. the blue and white colours were picked because they represent the see (blue) and its spume (white). the nine stripes, which go blue-white, blue-white etc.. represent a) the syllables of the phrase ELEPHTHERIA I THANATOS (FREEDOM OR DEATH) or b) the nine Muses, ancient godesses of art. finally the cross represents the christianity and more specifically, it represents the current religion of greece, which is Orthodox Christianity

The Extraordinary

Greek, Greece
    winnie said:
    Italian flag:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Italian flag is a variation of the French revolutionary flag blue/white/red
    the blue was replaced by green which in the Masonic symbolism meant 'nature' and 'natural rights' like liberty and equality.
    it seems that this flag was seen for the first time in 1796 when Napoleon led the Italian revolutionary troops against Austrian troops.
    I've read that green represents the hills, white the snow of the Alpes and red the blood that Italians gave for their independence. another theory says that green represents hope, white represents faith and red represents charity. this last interpratation is the religious one. I hope I helped!

Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    According to this link the symbolism of Extremaduran flag is :

- Green from Orden de Alcántara (a Knighthood Order, as the Templars).
    - White from Alphonse IX of León , who recovered most of the region from the Moors.
    - Black from the family who ruled during the Moor kingdom of Badajoz.

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/es-ex.html#mea

Actually the flag is a (nice) invention from 1976, probably a merge of Badajoz and Cáceres coats of arms inspired by the Andalusian flag or (kidding) a merge of the two capital cities teams shirts: Cacereño (green) and Badajoz (white-black).

Blackleaf

Banned
    English/Britain
    The Union Flag (known as the Union Jack when flown from a British ship) comes from the combination of first the English and Scottish flags and then, when Ireland joined the Union in 1801, the Irish flag. In thise days, the flag of Ireland was white with a red cross. Now, even though that it's spilt into two and the southern half left the Union whilst the northern half remained, the flag of the whole of Ireland remains in the Union flag. The blue on the background of the Scottish flag is light blue, but on the back of the Union Flag it's dark blue.

The Union Flag was created by a Scotsman - King James I of England, VI of Scotland - in 1606.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Blackleaf said:
    The Union Flag (known as the Union Jack when flown from a British ship) comes from the combination of first the English and Scottish flags and then, when Ireland joined the Union in 1801, the Irish flag.
    No, the flags used in the Union Flag are not the "flags" of the various nations - they are the symbols of the patron saints of those nations —> The Scottish Saltire (the 'cross' of Saint Andrew - Scotland), The Cross of Saint George (England) and Saint Patrick's Cross (Ireland). I think any flag Ireland had back them would have consisted of a harp in gold on a green background.

Blackleaf

Banned
    English/Britain
    maxiogee said:
    No, the flags used in the Union Flag are not the "flags" of the various nations - they are the symbols of the patron saints of those nations —>
    They are still the flags of each nation. Each nation's flag has to derive from somewhere.

Blackleaf

Banned
    English/Britain
    maxiogee said:
    I think any flag Ireland had back them would have consisted of a harp in gold on a green background.
    Up until around 1949 when the Irish Republic was formed, Ireland's flag was a red diagonal cross on a white background, and is where the red diagional cross on the Union Flag is from. As an Irishman, you should know that.

In 1801, the whole of Ireland was one nation when it joined the Union. Now it's two nations each with its own flag.

ukuca

Turkish - Turkey
    There is a myth or a rumour about the Turkish flag (which I find irrelevant) goes like this: After a very violent battle, a Turkish officer sees this shape of flag in a hole (A crescent moon and a star). But I believe that, the crescent simply represents a Muslim country as usual and the star represents a struggle for independence.

K.os

Français & English (Canadien)
    The Canadian flag is red and white, has a white stripe the half of the flag's width in the middle with two red stripe on either side and a red maple leaf in the middle of the white stripe. It is rather new as it's only been the flag since 1965. The maple leaf represents Canada's nature and environment. Red is for Saint George's Cross, and white from the French royal emblem. So the two colors represent both founding countries, France and England.

Before the current flag, the Canadian flag was the Red Ensign.

Edit: added Red Ensign.

Blackleaf

Banned
    English/Britain
    Roi Marphille said:
    I noticed few years ago.
    That's because it's impossible to superimpose diagonal crosses (the Cross of St Andrew and the Cross of St Patrick) over a horizontal/vertical cross (Cross of St George) symmetrically.

Blackleaf

Banned
    English/Britain

Scotland didn't join the Union with England/Wales until 1707, but the Union Flag was created in 1606 as the Crowns of England and Scotland united together in 1603. Between 1707 and 1801, the Union Flag was different than it is now as the Cross of St Patrick wasn't included. Then, when Ireland joined the Union in 1801, the Cross of St Patrick - a red diagonal cross on a white background - was added to the Union Flag.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    maxiogee said:
    No, the flags used in the Union Flag are not the "flags" of the various nations - they are the symbols of the patron saints of those nations —> The Scottish Saltire (the 'cross' of Saint Andrew - Scotland), The Cross of Saint George (England) and Saint Patrick's Cross (Ireland). I think any flag Ireland had back them would have consisted of a harp in gold on a green background.

They are still the flags of each nation. Each nation's flag has to derive from somewhere.
    Yes, our flag was a gold harp on a green 'field'. That "cross" was a sometime flag used in various ways by various people. The reason it was chosen for incorporation into the Union Flag is obvious - it shares a style with the other two 'flags' with which it was merged.

Up until around 1949 when the Irish Republic was formed, Ireland's flag was a red diagonal cross on a white background, and is where the red diagional cross on the Union Flag is from. As an Irishman, you should know that.
    Why should I know that?

The Irish tricolour was adopted as the flag of Ireland in 1922. Its status was enshrined in the Constitution of 1937.

As I said the red saltire was never an official flag of Ireland.

In 1801, the whole of Ireland was one nation when it joined the Union. Now it's two nations each with its own flag.
    Ireland didn't "join" the union in the same way as it "joined" the EU. It was subsumed into a union against the will of the vast majority, even of those in the 'parliament'.
    We may have been a "nation", but we were ruled from London, and our parliament was a packed one, open only to those of a certain persuasion. We did not have any "Irishness" recognised and so the red saltire was a foreign concept as a "flag".

Nineu

Euskal Herria / Basque Country
    The Basque flag (Ikurriña) was originally created for one of the Basque regions, Vizcaya (Bizkaia), but it soon became so popular that it was accepted as the flag of the Basque Country in the six other Basque regions.

The Basque flag consists of a green X and a white cross superimposed on a red background.

There are several interpretations of the Basque flag. According to one interpretation, the green St Andrew's cross might represent the Oak of Guernica, a symbol of the old laws of Bizkaia, or Fueros. The white cross represents Catholicism and was also found behind the Oak in the Heraldic arms of Bizkaia, and the red background represents the Basque people (originally, the Biscaynes). Thus, red, white and green have become the national Basque colors.

Mery_Dian

Moroccan Arabic - Morocco
    The Moroccan Flag's background is Red with a green pentacle (five-pointed, linear star) in its center, known as Solomon's seal.

Red is a symbol of the blood shed by valiant nationalists to defend the country. In the same vein, red represents hardiness, strength and bravery, and is considered as a call for sacrifice when the nation's freedom is at stake. In addition, red is the color symbol of the descendants of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

The pentagram/pentacle most likely stands for the link between God and the nation. It is also possible that the flag uses the pentagram as a symbol of King Solomon's wisdom, common to all three monotheistic religions.

The five-branch star is also a symbol of life, wisdom and good health. As regards the color of the pentacle, green is the traditional color of Islam. It represents hope, joy, peace, fertility and love as well.

< Previous | Next >