Sharrow

< Previous | Next >

Mrs JJJ

USA
English (British)
Perhaps the use of this term is too limited, as yet, for the Wordreference dictionary, but I think it's an interesting word and am therefore suggesting it. :)

A 'Sharrow' is an alternative name for the shared-lane marking on a road that is used to try to ensure the safety of bicyclists (BE - cyclists).. The sharrow indicates to motorists that the lane is to be shared and assists bicyclists in deciding where on the road to ride. Sharrows in the USA consist of two wide and parallel chevrons, with a diagram of a bicycle beneath them. 'Sharrow' is a portmanteau word, formed from the words "share" and "arrow".

The word now appears in the California Driver Handbook, which is used by Californians preparing to apply for a driver's license. I've seen it used a number of times in online cycling discussions for California, but it is relatively new, so I think it has yet to make it into print dictionaries. I didn't find it in the online dictionaries I checked, either. It is, however, referred to in a wikipedia entry about the shared lane markings, which are apparently used in a number of countries.

There is an online article about the origin of the word, and the man who is credited with inventing it.

1. The California Driver Handbook Contents list, with the link to the reference:
[For some reason, when I tried to post, my post came up with a "Rejected" reference for this link - and also when I tried merely to post a link to the contents list for the handbook. Is it only accessible from California? If you go to the main California DMV site and do a search for 'Driver Handbook' perhaps a link will appear, as it did for me. If necessary, I could type out the lines from the relevant section.)

2. The wikipedia reference:
Shared lane marking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. The article about Oliver Gajda, who is credited with inventing the word.
How the SFMTA Invented – and Named – the Bike 'Sharrow'

(My Google search brought up a figure of about 890,000 results for the word.)

Last edited:
  • kifbender

English, USA
    I know this is several months later, but I just wanted to add that I have heard this word many times, although I am from San Francisco which is where it originated. If this is still open for discussion, I would vote yes to add it.

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    So, the main difference compared to a conventional cycling lane is that a sharrow is not restricted to cyclists only?

kifbender

English, USA
    A sharrow is the symbol drawn in a multi-use traffic lane to show that the lane is used for both cyclists and cars. The word sharrow refers to the symbol, not the traffic lane.

snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    This word (and the traffic pattern it describes) is in use in Seattle and Portland as well, so it's at least current along the west coast.

jonny deep

english
    Perhaps the use of this term is too limited, as yet, for the Wordreference dictionary, but I think it's an interesting word and am therefore suggesting it. :)

A 'Sharrow' is an alternative name for the shared-lane marking on a road that is used to try to ensure the safety of bicyclists (BE - cyclists).. The sharrow indicates to motorists that the lane is to be shared and assists bicyclists in deciding where on the road to ride. Sharrows in the USA consist of two wide and parallel chevrons, with a diagram of a bicycle beneath them. 'Sharrow' is a portmanteau word, formed from the words "share" and "arrow".

The word now appears in the California Driver Handbook, which is used by Californians preparing to apply for a driver's license. I've seen it used a number of times in online cycling discussions for California, but it is relatively new, so I think it has yet to make it into print dictionaries. I didn't find it in the online dictionaries I checked, either. It is, however, referred to in a wikipedia entry about the shared lane markings, which are apparently used in a number of countries.

There is an online article about the origin of the word, and the man who is credited with inventing it.

1. The California Driver Handbook Contents list, with the link to the reference:
    [For some reason, when I tried to post, my post came up with a "Rejected" reference for this link - and also when I tried merely to post a link to the contents list for the handbook. Is it only accessible from California? If you go to the main California DMV site and do a search for 'Driver Handbook' perhaps a link will appear, as it did for me. If necessary, I could type out the lines from the relevant section.)

2. The wikipedia reference:
    Shared lane marking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. The article about Oliver Gajda, who is credited with inventing the word.
    How the SFMTA Invented – and Named – the Bike 'Sharrow'

(My Google search brought up a figure of about 890,000 results for the word.)
    Thank you for sharing its origin, I would like to receive and add to my dictionary

< Previous | Next >