Schuld (guilt / debt)

< Previous | Next >

ansjovis

Dutch
More relations between Dutch/German and English.

UK treasury bonds/obligations are called gilts related to guilt and being guilty of debt.
Guilt is related to guildan meaning to pay off debt.
Guildan is likely related to golden as one would pay off debt in gold.
Dutch currency was called gulden, which was issued originally as a golden coin.
And geld is likely derived from gold meaning money.
IMO likely all related!

• ansjovis

Dutch
    I am afraid eetymonline.com does not confirm that;
    - gold < IE shine
    - geld < gelden > betalen
    Yes it does:

geld | Search Online Etymology Dictionary

gelt (n.)"money," 1520s, from German and Dutch gelt "gold, money," from Proto-Germanic *geldam "payment" (see geld (n.)). In some later uses from Yiddish gelt, from Old High German gelt "payment, reward," from the same source.

I'm also quite sure the gulden is derived from gold. What be weird if it wouldn't.

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    Aaarrrrhhh, you're right, I was too quick as for geld!!! But as for gold and gulden: the link is quite OK, but they refer to IE *ghel-, shining, so I read. I always assumed there must be a link between geld and gold/ goud, but not, I discovered some years ago...

marco_2

Polish
    A cognate of guilt does exist in German, connected with the idea of making amends: from the verb gelten/ es gilt (to be valid), we get entgelten,(to recompense /reward/ to pay someone for something)), gelten itself in Middle High German amd geltan in Old High German having formerly had the meaning of to compensate, to indemnify. These words are in the same family as German das Geld (money), and another cognate,ontgelden in Dutch, also means to have to pay for something.

The American version of the Lord's Prayer, "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors" also refers to offences and atonement, the word trespasses being used instead in England.
    The same was in Old Church Slavonic translation: I ostavi nam dolgi naša - here the noun dolg meant 'guilt', whereas in contemporary Slavic languages (долг, дълг, dług etc.) means 'debt'.

< Previous | Next >