Read in and read out

< Previous | Next >

Harry Green

Mandarin
I was reading the LNAT tip and I came across this section:

You may like to start by skim-reading or “speed-reading” the multiple-choice passages. <...>

Don’t read anything in, and don’t read anything out. <...> And the questioner, not you, is the best judge of relevance. So take everything in the passage at face-value and give it all even-handed attention.
<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->
(Source: Hints and tips | LNAT)

I don't quite understand the sentence "don't read anything in, and don't read anything out". Could anyone help me? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    I don't quite understand the sentence "don't read anything in, and don't read anything out".
    It isn't the clearest sentence I've ever read, Harry. I understand it to mean something like Don't add anything to or omit anything from the sentences as you read them.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, it's warning you to not assume something that is not there. Don't let your bias change your understanding of the sentence. And don't ignore anything that really is there.

For instance, if it's talking about something flying don't assume it's a bird and not a plane, or a plane and not a bird. Keep an open mind.

It isn't the clearest sentence I've ever read
    I agree.

< Previous | Next >