Reactions: Agree and Thank You in most forums

< Previous | Next >
  • ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I don't want to be vulgar, but did nobody notice that the current symbol:thank you: for ''thank you'' might resemble male genitals (except for colours) rather than praying hands?;)
    Um, not I.

BTW, I don't know about italiano, but "blue balls" in American (at least) English is a painful condition in men caused by being sexually stimulated but denied release (by a rizzacazi*).
    Sì, ho dovuto cercare questa parola nel diccionario WR. :)

pointvirgule

langue française
    Sorry for bumping this thread, but I was wondering if it would be possible for us to be able to see the "Reaction score" of other forer@s in their "member card," along with their post count. Perhaps having a look at people's "Agree" count might help askers better assess the credibility of those who answer their questions. Or is that a frivolous request?

Last edited:

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Perhaps having a look at people's "Agree" count might help askers better assess the credibility of those who answer their questions.
    The “agree” count could be misleading too. Some people get lots of “agree” reactions in non-linguistic forums.

pointvirgule

langue française
    Some people get lots of “agree” reactions in non-linguistic forums.
    True, but it still shows that lots of people agree with them, which isn't a bad thing. ;)
    OK, to be honest, I'm just curious to see other peeps' scores. Am I alone? :)
    Besides, I think that piece of information is more useful than the post count, which is pretty meaningless per se.

Last edited:

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    True, but it still shows that lots of people agree with them, which isn't a bad thing.
    I see your point. However, someone may have reasonable arguments and give good explanations on non-linguistic issues, but provide preposterous or misleading answers in linguistic matters. 🙃

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I think you might be;). I'm really, really not curious to see other people's reaction totals - they don't mean anything.
    There was a glitch early on in the implementation process whereby for a brief period that information was publicly visible. I confess to having found it quite interesting (although part of that I daresay was the novelty of being able to view something I wasn't really supposed to be able to see: it brought out the voyeur in me :D).

Having said that, I wouldn't personally object to mine being viewable. I'm curious about how much demand there is for a preference setting option to allow it - assuming it's technically possible, that is.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't think it's very useful to take any steps that might encourage members to regard posting on WR as some kind of pissing contest.

Also, some members are getting into the habit of "agreeing" with every answer in a thread, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Loob

English UK
    I don't think it's very useful to take any steps that might encourage members to regard posting on WR as some kind of pissing contest.

Also, some members are getting into the habit of "agreeing" with every answer in a thread, which seems to defeat the purpose.
    Hear hear to both points.

suzi br

English / England

Pithily put, my dear!

There is at least one person who seems to respond to every single post it's weird, does it stem from the LIKE habit on social media? Meaning: I've seen your post ... ?
    Anyway, I am not complaining cos I have asked for this facility for YEARS and really apprecitate being able to just add a quick tick to someone who "beat me" to an answer, or to show "sides" in a debated point.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    There is evidence that a few members seem to be mis-using "agree" as "like", although I think it's fair to say that it's quite a small minority and it wasn't something which was picked up on as a problem when we did the trial run last year.

There is one forum which has both ("agree" and "like"), as do conversations, so that should give us some idea of whether that is in fact what people are doing.

pointvirgule

langue française
    Is that what you think my motivation was when I brought up the matter? I'm flattered, really!
    On the contrary, one might consider that any steps that encourage people to post thoughtful, quality answers might be a good thing, no?

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'm not questioning your motivation, pointvirgule :) Wouldn't dream of it. I was just speaking generally.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    On the contrary, one might consider that any steps that encourage people to post thoughtful, quality answers might be a good thing, no?
    Yes, I think anything which encourages that is definitely worth considering.

All the same, just supposing people were able to see that I'd posted 128 responses that people had "agreed" with and 137 that people had "thanked" me for (those aren't the actual figures, by the way ;)), I'm a little curious as to what that would actually tell anyone.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    This is my personal opinion as a forum member, not as a moderator:

While it can be fun to check out other users' reaction scores and it's true that making them visible might motivate some users to improve the quality of their posts, reaction scores should not be taken at face value. Reactions aren’t an option in every forum, and even if they were, the score depends on so many factors such as how often you post, who you help, who’s more likely to give reactions, etc. that they really can’t be taken as indicative of anything other than the simple fact that you have received x number of reactions!

Jektor

English (UK)
    #109: I was wondering if it would be possible for us to be able to see the "Reaction score" of other forer@s in their "member card," along with their post count. Perhaps having a look at people's "Agree" count might help askers better assess the credibility of those who answer their questions. Or is that a frivolous request?
    I have no objection, but I can't think why I would want to see it. I am interested in the reactions to an individual post, but I don't think I would be interested in a poster's total reaction score. However, the currently available member's total number of posts figure is useful.

machadinho

Português do Brasil
    Dear @mkellogg, here is another thing: push reaction notifications appear in the interface language of the user who reacted to our posts, not in our interface language. I got a Danke! this morning. This discloses what language a user has chosen, which may be an issue. Also, we won't be able to know what reaction it was until we check out the icon in the thread if we don't speak the language. Thanks.

Jennifer Weiss

Russian
    Although the total reaction score of a forero seems meaningless, I see no reason not to implement the feature as it won't adversely affect the usefulness of the website nor its optimization (functionality?). On top of that, I assume it will just take a couple of strings of code to code :D a script that will calculate the aggregated number of received reactions and display it somewhere. We might as well try and see how it will work out.

Nanon

français (France)
    Sorry for bumping this thread, but I was wondering if it would be possible for us to be able to see the "Reaction score" of other forer@s in their "member card," along with their post count. Perhaps having a look at people's "Agree" count might help askers better assess the credibility of those who answer their questions. Or is that a frivolous request?
    Some of us post in forums where Reactions have not been implemented. How "credible" are these members?

siares

Slovak
    Unfortunately no, mine is in Account details, and that page is just visible for my account.

< Previous | Next >