Reactions: Agree and Thank You in most forums

< Previous | Next >

Loob

English UK
What do you see here (🙏)? I did ": pray :" without the spaces to create that.
On my Samsung tablet (using Chrome) I see the head, arms and praying hands of a small Chinese boy with brown hair and an orange jacket.
Much cuter than DP's scary grey figure!

• S.V.

Español, México
    English Only could use "Reactions" for "It is the same in American English." and "It is the same in British English." :)
    So perhaps the "Heart" icon could be included under "Reactions" for "Like" to distinguish it from the "Thumb Up" one for "Approve/Agree"?
    Oh, and if our English-speaking friends wanted, we could also have some little English hearts, like in this thread. :p

Australia.png
    New Zealand.png
    South Africa.png
    India.png
    Ireland.png
    Nigeria.png
    Canada.png
    UK.png
    USA2.png
    Though still not sure what a "not here" could be, maybe a grayed out heart?

Edit: maybe grayish and a red -

ENGtr.png

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I get an alert if someone reacts to my post but not if someone reacts to someone else's post in a thread I've posted in. That's fine but does that also apply to the OP/thread starter?

What I mean is--if A replies to the thread starter and B agrees with A, does the thread starter get notified? It might be useful to him to know that someone's endorsed a reply he's received.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I get an alert if someone reacts to my post but not if someone reacts to someone else's post in a thread I've posted in. That's fine but does that also apply to the OP/thread starter?

What I mean is--if A replies to the thread starter and B agrees with A, does the thread starter get notified? It might be useful to him to know that someone's endorsed a reply he's received.
    Not as far as I know: if someone 'reacts' to one of your posts, you're notified (provided you have notifications turned on) but I don't think the OP or anyone else in the thread is.

bearded

Why is there a symbol for ''thank you'' but no symbol for ''you are welcome/gern geschehen/je vous en prie/de nada''? When someone thanks me, I often would like to reply (and I occasionally use :)) , but it's a pity wasting a post just to say ''you are welcome''.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Not as far as I know: if someone 'reacts' to one of your posts, you're notified (provided you have notifications turned on) but I don't think the OP or anyone else in the thread is.
    I was thinking about this (my post to which the above is an answer is #58). I think it might be useful for the OP to know when someone agrees with an answer he's received--in some cases it might reassure him that the answer he received wasn't a one-off or an unusual suggestion.

In my opinion, it's more important for the OP to know that someone agrees with an answer someone else gave him than for an answerer to know that someone agrees with him. It's different on forums which are more discussion forums of course. The language forums aren't so much discussion forums--they are aimed at answering questions.

My suggestion wouldn't always work, I agree. A might start a thread in January, get an answer and never come back. B might ask a related question in March and get an answer from C, and if D agrees with C, the notification would go to A rather than B.

I'm not sure what the solution could be--perhaps notifications of reactions could go to everyone who posted on that thread till that point? Yes, it would increase the number of alerts, but I see it's possible to have selective alerts and people could enable alerts only for new posts and not for reactions, if they wanted to.

Last edited:

tsoapm

English (England)
    Is there a way to stop the notifications that someone has thanked or agreed with me?
    Yes, under “Preferences.”
    Aware that I’m probably asking too much, I’d like to be able to stop notifications for Agree only (hopefully having people agree with me won’t be such a rare occurence that I want to be notifed about it!). But that’s not possible, is it?

Abu Talha

Urdu
    Would it be possible to add another "Thank you" icon other than the folded/joined hands? Perhaps the words "Thanks!" in a yellow box? I know it will be in English but I think that should be ok.

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Would it be possible to add another "Thank you" icon other than the folded/joined hands? Perhaps the words "Thanks!" in a yellow box? I know it will be in English but I think that should be ok.
    Why would you like to replace the current "Thank you" symbol? I've seen it used as a "thank you" symbol before, and I just looked for explanations. On Emojipedia, the symbol is explained as follows:

Depicting two hands pressed together and fingers pointed up, 🙏 Folded Hands is variously used as a gesture of prayer (religious or secular), thanks, request, and greeting as well to express such sentiments as hope, praise, gratitude, reverence, and respect. (...)
    When I use the symbol, I mean to express gratitude and praise. I use the "Agree" button if I feel confident that I'm qualified to agree, and the "Thank you" button if I can't really judge the quality of the comment, and I just want to thank the person for their contribution.

Abu Talha

Urdu
    Why would you like to replace the current "Thank you" symbol? I've seen it used as a "thank you" symbol before, and I just looked for explanations.
    I'm just not familiar with it in my culture, especially as a symbol of thanks, although I do understand that it is used as such (as you mention). So I was wondering if another option might be provided.

Thanks!

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    I'm just not familiar with it in my culture, especially as a symbol of thanks, although I do understand that it is used as such (as you mention). So I was wondering if another option might be provided.

Thanks!
    I see. Thank you for your explanation. :)

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I'm just not familiar with it in my culture,
    For what it's worth, this reason doesn't strike me as very convincing. Does the fact that a single member says he isn't familiar with it justify having to do the work to include another symbol? I note that you haven't said you find it offensive or disrespectful, just unfamiliar.

I'm sure it's unfamiliar to many people. It wasn't very familiar to me as an emoji till a few months ago, though I see the actual gesture used all the time in my country. There are many things that were unfamiliar to me till I got used to them, and then they became familiar. :)

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    My youngest brother spent 12 years in Nepal, and i have met several of his friends, so I am very familiar with Namaste and its significance. This thank you symbol makes me think of the namaste symbol, rather than any form of thanks I can imagine in English. Post CoVid more folks are using this here in the West. However I am a little uncomfortable with it. I do see an argument for considering it culturally insensitive.
    What Does Namaste Mean? Should Christians Say It?
    But therein lies what I see as the fundamental disconnect with the teachings of yoga and [Christianity].

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    It is the namaste, as far as I can tell, and the namaste is used to express gratitude, a little formally, among other things.

I don't think of it as particularly religious--it's used in general social interaction here all the time. Perhaps it strikes others as religious but I don't really see why it should cause discomfort--to two persons now. By that logic, people who aren't Christians should feel uncomfortable if someone said "Merry Christmas" to them.

From your link: Namaste is a Sanskrit phrase combining two phrases to mean “I bow to you” or “The divine in me bows to the divine in you.”
    I assure you many Indians have no idea what the word actually means. It's just a common social gesture.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod

Thanks!
    I can't say I'm all that familiar with it as a thank-you gesture in real life: we don't generally use it in the UK as that - or at least, I don't think I've never personally come across it. Having said that, I have seen it interpreted as an emoji in that way and it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable.

The trouble, I think from the point of view of accommodating those of us who'd prefer to have something else, is what you could use instead. :)

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Personal feelings are, well just that.
    I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your personal feelings, and whether you use it or not is of course your prerogative. I'm saying--does the fact that something makes you personally uncomfortable justify challenging it when many others seem fine with it, and especially when it isn't something offensive or disrespectful or hurtful?

I don't use that emoji either but I don't consider that justification for saying it should be changed.

L'irlandais

Another forum I frequently visit has this cool 🤷 While it in no way means thanks, it is one I’d like to see on WR. But that is apparently interpreted differently on the other side of the Atlantic.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Another forum I frequently visit has this cool 🤷
    I initially thought it was an angel with wings (Christian culture), then thought it might be a monkey (lots of people wouldn't like that either) and then realised it's a child touching his/her ears.

I'm fine with it whatever it is, but there'll probably be others who'll "misread" it just as I did and won't bother to look again.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    Another forum I frequently visit has this cool 🤷 While it in no way means thanks, it is one I’d like to see on WR. But that is apparently interpreted differently on the other side of the Atlantic.
    I looke it up and found it being interpreted variously as signifying puzzlement, indifference or disinterest - equating to the enigmatic "Whatever" :D

While I agree its a cool emoji, I'm not sure it represents a sentiment we're keen to encourage members to express in the forums here.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I find :D pretty offensive (aesthetically speaking), but I shrugged and learned to live with it, even use it myself on occasion.

I appreciate the respectful palms-together symbol, the yellow colour being bright and cheerful. It's just a symbol, it's not like it's something hateful like a swastika. Flowers are too girly.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

On the other forum (which uses unupdated vBulletin) the emoji moves, visibly shrugging the shoulders.
    The WR version is a poor substitute, but I haven’t yet done a screen capture: I will try and add that later.
    (
    Not shrugging.JPG
    + Shrugging.JPG)
    Body language is such a huge part of communication, I don’t see how we can survive without such emojis. Shrug dates from 1450.
    In Ireland, it is far from the Gallic shrug, and I see no insult in its use. It means "Search me." where I come from. SEARCH ME! | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary. A revealing point of language usage is that offense is taken, not given. "Take offense" usage So if someone interprets my « search me » emoji as meaning something entirely different, that doesn’t change what I meant a jot.

But I can understand how rude people could add meaning to the gesture beyond what I understand; indifference I hear it means in the USA. Seems to me Americians are indifferent to a lot of things. not so with the Irish. Cultural I guess, like Gridiron is split into offense and defense. I have a work colleague who uses this as a sign of resignation. Not sure how distain can be read into it, but happy to believe some can do. One online dictionary suggests it is a sign of rejection, dismissive, dread or lack of concern. Dread? Seriously ?

To cut a long story short, the analogy of the Irish shrug shows that while Namaste may simply mean « Thank you » in the US of A, but in other countries it means a damn sight more, like « I bow to the divine in you. »

Last edited:

Abu Talha

Urdu
    Just an idea: A flower to say "Thank you"?

🌷 or 💐 for example.
    It sounds like a good idea to me, but then I noticed that someone didn't quite like it.
    The trouble, I think from the point of view of accommodating those of us who'd prefer to have something else, is what you could use instead. :)
    Since the idea is to be polite and thank the poster, maybe we can avoid any associated imagery, and just have text in the reactions UI. The reactions can then show up as: "You, X, and Y have thanked Z for this post."

This text can be added for all UI languages that this forum supports.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    An emoji is nice, but we don't seem to have a symbol of approval that has the same meaning for all participants in this forum.
    I agree with the use of text suggested above.

Jektor

English (UK)
    Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >