Pronunciation: the surname "Vallvé"

< Previous | Next >

LoveVanPersie

Mandarin, Hakka
How is the surname Vallvé as in Pau Vallvé pronounced in Central Catalan? DCVB says it's a variant of Bellver with incorrect spelling and transcibed Bellver as [beʎβέ]. However, Wiktionary transcribes Bellver and Vallvé as /bəʎˈβe/, with the first vowel reduced and the second pronounced as close vowel /e/ rather than open one... :confused: :confused: :confused:

There is a YouTube video where he pronounced his name: Pau Vallvé es posa el nas de Pallapupas per Musics amb nassos (at 0:05), but my ability to identify pronunciations of non-native languages is too bad...

Thank you for your help in advance! :)

Last edited:
  • Dymn

/bəʎˈβe/
    That's how I would pronounce it. Regardless of its origin, it's "impossible" for me to pronounce /e/ if I read a or /ɛ/ if I read é.

If anything, I would expect some people to pronounce it /ˌbaʎˈβ̞e/ if they consider vall ("valley") to be an standalone word and therefore pronounced unreduced (just like the o of contratemps is never /u/).

Let's see what other people say.

Dymn

Can you identify how Pau himself pronounced it in the YouTube video Pau Vallvé es posa el nas de Pallapupas per Musics amb nassos (at 0:05)?
    /bəʎˈβ̞e/

How do you pronounce Bellver?
    With /e/, but of course I (incorrectly) analyse it as an -er suffix which is always /e/. It's however a compound word: bell ver "good sight", being ver an archaic form or veure, it should be pronounced with /ɛ/.

What about a similarly spelt surname and place name Bellvei and its variant Vallvey? :confused:
    I've never had to pronounce this so I have no idea.

< Previous | Next >