Pronunciation: Aleix, Andreu

< Previous | Next >
  • Doraemon-

"Spanish - Spain" "Catalan - Valencia"
    Aleix: /əˈleʃ/ in eastern dialects, /aˈlejʃ/ in the western ones/valencian.
    Andreu: /ənˈdɾew/ in eastern dialects, /anˈdɾew/ in the western ones.
    Both with /e/, as every(?) word ending in -eix and -eu.

LoveVanPersie

Mandarin, Hakka
    Both with /e/, as every(?) word ending in -eix and -eu.
    In the thread Pronunciation: the surname "Deulofeu", it was said that "-eu (hereu, europeu, museu) is more often pronounced with an open e than with a closed one." (#2) and "Also in central Catalan they tend to pronounce all -eu endings like [-ɛw] even in cases when the traditional pronunciation is [-ew]. " (#6)

Doraemon-

"Spanish - Spain" "Catalan - Valencia"
    In the thread Pronunciation: the surname "Deulofeu", it was said that "-eu (hereu, europeu, museu) is more often pronounced with an open e (...)
    Yes, that's why I put the interrogation, I wasn't sure if it was the case for "every" word (it's not).
    As you correctly say, there are some exceptions, words ending in -eu always pronounced as [-ɛw] (the ones you put, hereu, europeu...) but most of them (greu, breu, meu, teu, seu...) are with a "closed e" ([e]).
    For the verbal desinence in -eu: voldreu, sabeu, direu, diríeu..., it varies on the dialect ([-ɛw] in Central catalan, [-ew] in some other places).
    I suppose these "more often" with one or another depends on which dialect and which words we consider (it's almost always [-ew] in mine).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >