Pronouncing Dictionary of Proper Names

Next >

EternoBGV

Thai
Hello,

I'd like to know if there is a Dutch dictionary that gives the pronunciation guide (in IPA or whatever it may be) especially for proper names, in the same way as the Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary and Duden Das Aussprachewörterbuch do with the names in their respective languages. I have found some Dutch pronunciation dictionaries, but they don't include the names of Dutch and Flemish persons, towns, cities, etc.

Thank you for your help.

• Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    You can use this site. As language, choose "Dutch" and as speaker choose "Ellen (Belgian)". The pronunciation of names is pretty good. I also checked some of the speakers of the Netherlands, and their pronunciation of names is much less accurate.

LoveVanPersie

Mandarin, Hakka
    The only relevant site I found is VRT Taal. But sometimes the pronunciation is not the correct/actual one. For instance, Daryl in Daryl Janmaat is transcribed der·ril, which denotes /ˈdɛrɪl/ in IPA, but I have only heard /ˈdɛrəl/ on YouTube. Also note that both /ɑi̯/ and /aːi̯/ are transcribed aj, both /ɔi̯/ and /oːi̯/ are transcribed oj on the website.

Last edited:

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    The only relevant site I found is VRT Taal. But sometimes the pronunciation is not the correct/actual one. For instance, Daryl in Daryl Janmaat is transcribed der·ril, which denotes /ˈdɛrɪl/ in IPA, but I have only heard /ˈdɛrəl/ on YouTube. Also note that both /ɑi̯/ and /aːi̯/ are transcribed aj, both /ɔi̯/ and /oːi̯/ are transcribed oj on the website.
    I am not sure all this will work. The pronunciation of names may vary regionally, etc. We pronounce 'Andy' as if it were a Flemish name, but in the Netherlands I hear the English variant. Do we pronounce it the wrong way? I don't think so. But I cannot suggest any sites giving the right pronunciation, I am afraid. Especially Flemish surnames will prove hard to pronounce because of the spelling variation arisen in the course of history..

Red Arrow

Dutch - Belgium
    Especially Flemish surnames will prove hard to pronounce because of the spelling variation arisen in the course of history..
    Wikipedia can be of help: Dutch orthography - Wikipedia
    Especially these letters might cause confusion:
    -gh: ignore the h
    -c: usually [k] in surnames, for instance Ceulemans
    -ae: usually [a:]

I think other spellings speak for themselves, as exotic as they might look, like Dockx [dɔks].

Last edited:

LoveVanPersie

Mandarin, Hakka
    Also note that both /ɑi̯/ and /aːi̯/ are transcribed aj, both /ɔi̯/ and /oːi̯/ are transcribed oj on the website.
    I said so because VRT Taal transcribes Venray, Gooik, Ooigem with aj and oj instead of aaj/aai and ooj/ooi, while Das Aussprachewörterbuch of Duden transcribes the Ducth pronunciations of Venraij (said to be an alternative name of Venray) and Gooik as "ˈvɛnraːi̯ " and "ɣoːi̯k".

However I failed to find any guide for transcriptions on VRT Taal and, recently I found Jai of Jai Hindley transcribed dzjaai. :confused:

Last edited:
    Next >