Pork

< Previous | Next >

seitt

English/Welsh
Hi,

What is the most usual way to say 'pork', please?

Am I right in thinking that even if you just say 'meat', most people will understand you as meaning 'pork' as pork is the most popular meat in China?

I think that 'pork sweet and sour' is simply 'meat sweet and sour', for example.

Best,

Simon

• SuperXW

Hi there,
    1. The most usual way to say "pork" is 猪肉 zhu1rou4.
    2. I think it depends. In most circumstance you still need to specify which kind of meat it is.
    3. For the common dishes, we actually have special names for each of them. They are not as direct as "pork sweet and sour". "Sweet and sour pork" is called 咕噜肉 or 糖醋里脊 instead. The English translation is just easier for foreigners to understand.

FRee^ARouND

Mandarin - Mainland
    Hi there,
    1. The most usual way to say "pork" is 猪肉 zhu1rou4.
    2. I think it depends. In most circumstance you still need to specify which kind of meat it is.
    3. For the common dishes, we actually have special names for each of them. They are not as direct as "pork sweet and sour". "Sweet and sour pork" is called 咕噜肉 or 糖醋里脊 instead. The English translation is just easier for foreigners to understand.
    Yeah. There're so many kinds about Chinese food. Trying to tell them all is hard even for local...Just for example: pork can be 五花肉 里脊肉 腊肉 红烧肉 etc. They're sorted by position or procedure. But they are all pork.

Ghabi

Cantonese
    Talking about pork, I once read that words like "pig", "pork", and "lard" are taboo in some Chinese Muslim communities, and they use 狠孜勒 hen3zi1le4 (or other transliterations of the Arabic خنزير) for "pig", and 大肉 "big meat" and 大油 "big oil" for "pork" and "lard" respectively (I don't know the etymology of the latter two). Not sure if that's a common practice, though.

< Previous | Next >