Portuguese to English polichinelo

Dictionary entry: polichinelo
< Previous | Next >

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
"polichinelo" (Brazilian Portuguese) is a "jumping jack" in English. The current English translations have nothing to do with the physical exercise.

• casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    However, as far as I can see, the existing senses in the dictionary aren't wrong as such, so I've restored them alongside the new exercise-related sense 'jumping jack', also 'star jump'. Polichinelo is a personage in the Commedia dell'Arte:

1589930187468.png

Attachments

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
    However, as far as I can see, the existing senses in the dictionary aren't wrong as such, so I've restored them alongside the new exercise-related sense 'jumping jack', also 'star jump'. Polichinelo is a personage in the Commedia dell'Arte:
    I must confess I had never heard about him until now. Anyway, please make explicit in the definition that it refers to a Roman theater character, similar to what was done for Pinocchio in Pinocchio - Dicionário Inglês-Português (Brasil) WordReference.com , in order to avoid confusion.

casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    The issue is really that this is one of those words that need more than one sense listed on the Portuguese side, for example: polichinelo (desportivo), polichinelo (teatro popular). I can get my PTBase colleagues to fix that.

casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    It seems to be a little slow, I agree. I'm new around here, so I don't actually know if things are currently slower than usual. However, I'm told that the process normally takes a month or two. First, anything that we correct or add goes into a pile of work waiting to be checked by a reviser. After the reviser there's a further wait, since apparently all the dictionaries get updated at once.

< Previous | Next >