people of Island of Hydra

• Acestor

Greek
    I would prefer the first one as it sounds like the greek name (Υδραίος).
    Not necessarily a good choice, though, if the text is addressed to English-speaking people.
    If there are only two books using "Hydraeans" and 3,000 books using "Hydriots", the choice shouldn't be too difficult.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I guess the problem is one of pronunciation. If an English speaker is confronted with the form "Hydriots" his pronunciation might sound a bit too much like "idiots" ? Is it possible to just say "islanders from Hydra" or "Hydra locals" ?

Acestor

Greek
    As Hydra is pronounced /ˈhaɪdrə/, I expect Hydriots will be pronounced /ˈhaɪdriəts/, a pronunciation which has not prevented thousands of people from using the word.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    A recent U.S. president refered to the Greeks as "Grecians". I wouldn't bank on English-speakers knowing how to pronounce these words. Of course it's going to depend on the target audience and whether they would associate "Hydriots" or "Hydreans" with the island of Hydra anyway. If the pronunciation is not a problem, "Hydriot" is the obvious choice.

Aelialicinia

USA English
    Excellent point.
    Re Grecians...most museums in the US refer to Grecian art...vases etc. Hellenes would be a superior term for ethnicity and faith......Greeks is not even Greek!

Aelialicinia

USA English
    You mean you have pressed on my links and the findings were not convincing enough?
    I just saw this as I was again checking Hydriots/Hydraeans. I need to respond I know you replied with links in jest (I hope) but I could not help thanking you.

< Previous | Next >