Nothing sounds no more

MarioKiwa

español
Hi everyone! I´m confused over here. Is it correct to say -"NOTHING SOUNDS NO MORE"-? I'm working on lyrics of a song and melodically, it sounds right but grammatically, I just don´t know, Could it be "NOTHING SOUNDS(.) NO MORE"? Thank you in advance!

• MarioKiwa

español
    Welcome to the forums.
    What are you trying to express in Spanish?
    Thank you! well, actually we are songwriting in english, but the phrase in spanish would be something like... "ya nada suena" o "nada suena más". Maybe "nothing sounds anymore" is the correct way to write it but "nothing sounds no more" just fits melodically so well :/ ... so i was wondering, if its redundant to write it that way, could it be "nothing sounds. no more" possible? adding a period change grammar but the meaning is the same, right?... i just don't know :p ... thank you!

CameronR

English - Scotland
    You generally have more flexibility with language when writing lyrics so, if it fits well into the song, I don't see any issue with "Nothing sounds no more" - you just need to be sure that in the final product that the meaning is conveyed.

User With No Name

English (U.S. - Texas)
    The "nothing ... no more" double negative is grammatically wrong, but people do say things like that sometimes. So I agree with @CamerionR that in a song, it's okay.

What I'm not sure about is the use of "sounds" in that context. What exactly do you mean by "suena" in this context?

MarioKiwa

español
    You generally have more flexibility with language when writing lyrics so, if it fits well into the song, I don't see any issue with "Nothing sounds no more" - you just need to be sure that in the final product that the meaning is conveyed.
    Thank you so much!

MarioKiwa

español
    The "nothing ... no more" double negative is grammatically wrong, but people do say things like that sometimes. So I agree with @CamerionR that in a song, it's okay.

What I'm not sure about is the use of "sounds" in that context. What exactly do you mean by "suena" in this context?
    Oh you are right! could it be "nothing sound no more"? ... the meaning of "suena" is about everything, his whole inner and outer world is in silence now, does it make sense? ... should i post the lyrics so you guys can advice me?

User With No Name

English (U.S. - Texas)
    No, "sounds" is correct. ("Nothing" is singular.)

Your explanation makes sense.

Don't post the lyrics. The moderators don't like that kind of thing.

Good luck with the song.

gengo

American English
    Could it be "nothing sound no more"? ... the meaning of "suena" is about everything, his whole inner and outer world is in silence now, does it make sense? ... should I post the lyrics so you guys can advise me?

If you need five syllables, maybe you could use "no sounds anymore." That has the basic idea of ya nada suena. While it is true that lyrics, like poetry, are flexible, you should be aware that saying "nothing sounds no more" will make your lyrics sound extremely colloquial at best, and uneducated at worst.

Forum rules allow you to post up to four lines of lyrics for the purpose of context, and I think that would be useful here.