Norwegian: piffen

< Previous | Next >

dukaine

English - American
I don't understand what this word means here. The definitions I found were "zest" or "spice", or verbs associated with those. I still don't get the full meaning, though, of what it's trying to say because it seems like it contradicts the elegance that it speaks about afterward.

Tradisjonen med engelsk ettermiddagste stammer tilbake fra 1700-tallet, og te var ansett som en eksklusiv vare. I starten var ettermiddagsteen for piffen, og var ofte assosiert med elegante rom, fint porselensservise, sølvskjeer – og kvinnen i huset var ansvarlig for å brygge teen, det ble ikke overlatt til tjenerskapet.

Thanks!

• Ben Jamin

Polish
    I don't understand what this word means here. The definitions I found were "zest" or "spice", or verbs associated with those. I still don't get the full meaning, though, of what it's trying to say because it seems like it contradicts the elegance that it speaks about afterward.

Tradisjonen med engelsk ettermiddagste stammer tilbake fra 1700-tallet, og te var ansett som en eksklusiv vare. I starten var ettermiddagsteen for piffen, og var ofte assosiert med elegante rom, fint porselensservise, sølvskjeer – og kvinnen i huset var ansvarlig for å brygge teen, det ble ikke overlatt til tjenerskapet.

Thanks!
    I don't use the word myself, but I have met it several times in the media. From the usage I can conclude that it must mean something like "the upper class", "the privileged ones". This usage is still very informal and hasn't been taken into account in dictionaries. It is a fashion word, which may be dropped and get out of use in some years time.

dukaine

English - American
    I don't use the word myself, but I have met it several times in the media. From the usage I can conclude that it must mean something like "the upper class", "the privileged ones". This usage is still very informal and hasn't been taken into account in dictionaries. It is a fashion word, which may be dropped and get out of use in some years time.
    Thanks so much!

winenous

English - British
    I googled the text, and the page where it occurs links to an article in English, which is clearly the basis for the Norwegian.
    How Afternoon Tea was 'Invented'
    Whether typo or not, this confirms that the meaning must be as @Ben Jamin said - and not related to spice

< Previous | Next >