Norwegian: Nå? Skal du svare, eller?

< Previous | Next >

Dla Czego

Hebrew
A man is asking an impolite question to a woman. When she doesn't answer because she is emberrrased, he is shouting:
"Nå? Skal du svare, eller?"

"Nå" means now... does it mean here 'come on'? well?

Skal means both "should" and "will", which one is it here?

Is "eller" a short for "eller hva?"/"eller hur"? expressing a rhetorical question?

I think the sentence means "Well, you should answer, right?"

Am I wrong?

Takk

• winenous

English - British
    Nå - well is a fair translation. More literally I suppose you could say what now?

Skal - is shall or will. Norwegian uses skulle for should

Eller -
    you are correct (except that the question is not rhetorical - an answer is expected)

I think I would translate it as Well? Are you going to answer, or what?

Last edited:

winenous

English - British
    I think eller hur is more likely to mean something like isn't it in Swedish, while eller used at the end of a Norwegian sentence is a more literal question about alternatives. But I am not sure - let's see what others say

raumar

Norwegian
    I think I would translate it as Well? Are you going to answer, or what?
    :thumbsup: That would be my translation, too.

I think eller hur is more likely to mean something like isn't it in Swedish, while eller used at the end of a Norwegian sentence is a more literal question about alternatives.
    I see "eller?" or "eller hva?" as a rhetorical question, not as a literal question about alternatives, in this context.
    "Nå? Skal du svare, eller?" is a sarcastic way to say "Svar på spørsmålet mitt!"
    Likewise, "Er du dum, eller?" is a way to express contempt, not a question that is meant to be answered.

In a different context, and said in a different tone, "eller?" can be a real question about alternatives. For example "Skal du på hytta i helga, eller?" is meant to be answered with, for example, "Ja" or "Nei, jeg blir hjemme".

"Eller?" or "eller hva?" can also mean "isn't it", as in "Det er fint vær i dag, eller hva?"

"Eller hur" is Swedish, yes (but sometimes used by Norwegians - as an expression loaned from Swedish).

winenous

English - British
    Thanks @raumar. From what you say, I think my understanding of all the usages you mentioned is correct. Didn't know that eller hur was slipping into Norwegian, though.

However, what I wrote about alternatives was wrong, and I think we might also have a slightly different understanding of rhetorical question (and sarcasm). But that is another topic, and for another forum.

raumar

Norwegian
    Winenous, I think you are right. "Sarcastic" is probably not the right word. I would say "spydig" in Norwegian. My point was just that "Nå? Skal du svare, eller?" is equally rude as "Svar på spørsmålet mitt!", even though it is formed as a question and not a command, And it is more mean-spirited.

< Previous | Next >