My mom is having trouble walking because of her knee operation.

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was thinking of how to translate the following sentence into Chinese today: "My mom is having trouble walking because of her knee operation." Would anyone know how to say this in Chinese?
Thanks! :)

• Cookingboom

Chinese
    我妈做了膝盖手术,所以他现在没法走路。(口语
    我妈因为去做了膝盖手术,所以他现在不能走路。(书面,正式

Last edited:

yuechu

Canada, English
    Thanks, Cookingboom! I also appreciate that you gave two versions. It's good to know how to say it in a more informal or formal situation!
    谢谢!:)

T.D

mandarin
    Some suggestions.

没法走路;不能走路 = cannot walk at all.
    have trouble walking =走路不方便(one way to casually say it); 行走不便(formal)
    他=he
    她=she
    我妈 is not formal. 我母亲 is.
    我妈做了膝盖手术 is somewhat ambiguous. It can mean 'my mom performed a knee operation. '
    A clearer way to say it might be 我妈膝盖上动了手术。or 我母亲接受了膝盖手术。

Last edited:

Shazhudao945

Chinese - Mainland China
    "My mom is having trouble walking because of her knee operation."
    mom = an oral sentence (so we use 我妈 instead of 我母亲)

because of her knee operation = I understand it as she's got a problem with her knee and took an operation to cure it. So it is not the operation that prevents your mom from walking, but the recovering process. @#2
    我妈因为去做了膝盖手术,所以他现在不能走路。(书面,正式
    因为 here is not good.

And for me, have trouble walking is quite vague, do you mean your mom can still walk with struggle or she lost temporary the ability to walk? Or because walking is forbidden during recovery?

Thus my suggestion is:
    我妈的膝盖刚刚动完手术;她现在不方便走动。(also a quite vague impression for having trouble walking, without clear reason/status)

Last edited:

yuechu

Canada, English
    没法走路;不能走路 = cannot walk at all.
    have trouble walking =走路不方便(one way to casually say it); 行走不便(formal)
    Thanks T.D! Yes, it is that she has trouble walking and not that she cannot walk at all.

because of her knee operation = I understand it as she's got a problem with her knee and took an operation to cure it. So it is not the operation that prevents your mom from walking, but the recovering process. @#2
    Actually, as I was writing it, I was thinking that was perhaps inexact. She is having knee problems because of her +"having had" a knee operation, and is in a recovery phase. Her condition is temporarily worse than what it was before the operation.

Thanks, Shazhudao945!

< Previous | Next >