MSA/All dialects: to give/shoot someone a dirty look

< Previous | Next >

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
Hi all--for 'dirty look', WordReference suggests

(نظرة امتعاض، نظرة استنكار، نظرة غضب),

but doesn't clarify in the Arabic-English section how those three options differ in meaning or usage.

English has a few relevant expressions:

- 'to give/shoot someone an angry look', 'to give/shoot someone a dirty look' (fairly mild)
- 'to give someone the evil eye', 'to look daggers at someone' (very strong)

What would some good equivalents be in MSA and the dialects?

Thanks in advance.

• analeeh

English - UK
    Those are all literal renditions: 'a look of displeasure/annoyance', 'a look of contempt/disapproval', 'a look of anger'.

djara

Tunisia Arabic
    Tunisian Arabic, يكحل
    There may be a misunderstanding here. Dirty look means " a facial expression of disapproval, disgust, or anger " while يكحل means : (for a boy) to look intently and appreciatively (?) at a girl, mostly a form of street harrassment.
    I think the closest word for dirty look in Tunisian Arabic is قحرة (gaḥra) and to shoot a dirty look is يقحر (yagḥar)

Abu Talha

Urdu
    Hans Wehr gives حدجه بِبَصَره/بِنَظَره as "to look sharply at someone".

There is also رماه ببصره.

Both become بأبصارهم with a plural doer.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    In MSA, we say نظر له شَذَرًا, and we also use it in Egyptian Arabic: بَصّ له شذرًا (of course we pronounce the ذ like ز: baSSelo shazaran).

fenakhay

French (France) / Arabic (Morocco)
    In Morocco, خَنْزَر (ḵanzar), يِخَنْزَر (yiḵanzar)

momai

Arabic - Syria
    In MSA, we say نظر له شَذَرًا, and we also use it in Egyptian Arabic: بَصّ له شذرًا (of course we pronounce the ذ like ز: baSSelo shazaran).
    It is actually written with zay not thal hence your Egyptian pronunciation is also "correct".
    In Syrian we would say زورو zawaro

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
    It's interesting that Syrian has a one-word equivalent for the English phrase.

What's the etymology of

'zawar'?

I doubt it's related to the MSA verb

(زَوِرَ):

- Have or take a slope - incline; slant; slope (source)

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    It is actually written with zay not thal hence your Egyptian pronunciation is also "correct".
    In Syrian we would say زورو zawaro
    Oh! Is this a case of my over-correcting the dialect usage?! :oops: Thank you for the correction, Momai :)

And I remembered another verb: yozghor يزغر which is used with a preposition: زغر له, and it is from fuS7a as well, from Hans Wehr it means "to eye, leer".

djara

Tunisia Arabic
    And I remembered another verb: yozghor يزغر which is used with a preposition: زغر له,
    In Tunisia, we say يخزر/يغزر and it means to look at. From وخَزَرْتُ فلانا خَزْراً: نظرت إليه بلحاظ عيني. قال: لا تَخْزُرِ القوم شزراً عن معارضةٍ (Kitab al 3ayn)

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    In Morocco, خَنْزَر (ḵanzar), يِخَنْزَر (yiḵanzar)
    خزر/يخزر is also used this way I think. And I think that we also make a distinction between يشوف/يرى/يخزر without a suffix which is kind of neutral and when we make the verb followed by في which imply in a bad manner or at least, in a non pleasant/wrong one (يشوف فيا for instance).

There is also شبح/يشبح, باصر/يباصر as well as رعى/يرعى (to look at/to observe) but I don't know if it may be used to mean "dirty look".

Last edited:

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
    And I remembered another verb: yozghor يزغر which is used with a preposition: زغر له, and it is from fuS7a as well, from Hans Wehr it means "to eye, leer".
    In English, 'to leer at someone' can mean

1) (ينظر بشهوانيّة إلى شخص)

or

2) (ينظر بخبث إلى شخص).

For me, the primary meaning of this phrase is (1).

Is the Egyptian term

(يزغر ل)

equivalent to (1) or (2) in MSA?

fenakhay

French (France) / Arabic (Morocco)
    خزر/يخزر is also used this way I think. And I think that we also make a distinction between يشوف/يرى/يخزر without a suffix which is kind of neutral and when we make the verb followed by في which imply in a bad manner or at least, in a non pleasant/wrong one (يشوف فيا for instance).
    Maybe this is regional, but خزر, for me, means "to look at" with no bad connotation (for example, خزر فخاك (look at your brother) or خزر في (look at me)).
    There is also شبح/يشبح, باصر/يباصر as well as رعى/يرعى (to look at/to observe) but I don't know if it may be used to mean "dirty look".
    I've never heard of these. Where are they said?

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    In English, 'to leer at someone' can mean

1) (ينظر بشهوانيّة إلى شخص)

or

2) (ينظر بخبث إلى شخص).

For me, the primary meaning of this phrase is (1).

Is the Egyptian term (يزغر ل) equivalent to (1) or (2) in MSA?
    It's neither, actually :) It's to look in a menacing way.

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
    It's neither, actually :) It's to look in a menacing way.
    Are there any good equivalents in MSA?

The English phrases 'to glare at someone' and 'to glower at someone' come to mind, but I'm not sure if they're good translations of the Egyptian verb.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    It's interesting that Syrian has a one-word equivalent for the English phrase.

What's the etymology of

'zawar'?

I doubt it's related to the MSA verb

(زَوِرَ):
    It's mentioned in Lissan Alarab under z-w-r.
    ناقة زَوْرَة: تنظر بِمُؤْخِرِ عينها لشدّتها وحدّتها

< Previous | Next >