motrice

< Previous | Next >

Norm

Spanish - Argentina
ciao,

mi potette dire se "motrice" sarebbe "traction unit"?

Road tanker:_complessi di veicoli costituiti da due unità distinte, agganciate, delle quali una motrice;

grazie!

• Allanon

Italiano
    Si, nei tir/camion, la motrice è l'unità di trazione, cioè la parte del veicolo con il motore. La parte trainata si chiama rimorchio.

Norm

Spanish - Argentina
    tractor unit, traction unit.... the same... but UNIT...

Grazie mille lo stesso

london calling

UK English
    In questo contesto non si dice né "traction" né "unit" :)
    I must admit I tend to think of a traction unit as a modern version of the rack, to set your back and/or neck straight!:D

However, I must say that we do use "tractor unit" in this part of the world (assuming that this is what we're talking about).:) If you're talking about a train, it's the engine.

Norm

Spanish - Argentina
    Thanks neuromatico and london calling but Im a bit mixed up now... could you please
    "make a fresh copy" :)

__Tony__

English - American
    I too would like a better understanding of what Italians mean by 'motrice'. Can someone comment on my translation (below)?

This term is used over 20 times within the (7000) Italian Driving test questions. These questions all involve a vehicle towing a trailer, and 'motrice' clearly refers to the part of the vehicle which is doing the towing. DeepL or Google Translate most often translate it as 'tractor', which would only make sense if the sentences were all referring to 'semi-trucks' (at least in AE). But this doesn't make sense in these sentences, and this is not that sort of driving test. It's just the standard driving test.

I've struggled with how to translate 'motrice' in these sentences and the best I've come up with is "motor vehicle", which substitutes for the 'tractor' translation of DeepL in each of the 3 examples below.

1) Nei centri abitati il conducente non deve lasciare in sosta un rimorchio staccato dalla motrice, salvo diversa segnalazione
    2) Nell’affrontare una curva a velocità moderata il rimorchio compie sempre lo stesso percorso fatto dalla motrice
    3) In un rimorchio dotato di freno a inerzia l’effetto della frenata avviene quando il rimorchio si avvicina alla motrice

1) In inhabited centers the driver must not leave a trailer detached from the motor vehicle, unless otherwise indicated.
    2) When facing a curve at moderate speed, the trailer always follows the same route as the motor vehicle.
    3) In a trailer equipped with an inertia brake, the effect of braking occurs when the trailer approaches the motor vehicle.

By the way, if you google any of the Italian sentences above you'll see mostly websites that show all the questions/answers to the Italian Driving test I'm talking about.

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    Honestly I don't understand what's bothering you.
    I'm pretty sure you (as well as anyone who has seen a big truck) know what a motrice is, so why you don't think that tractor is correct?

__Tony__

English - American
    When I wrote "But this [tractor] doesn't make sense in these sentences, and this is not that sort of driving test." I meant that these questions do not refer to semi trucks (tractor trailers), but rather ordinary cars pulling trailers (for example, a boat trailer). No AE speaker would refer to an ordinary car as a tractor in these cases.

I can see that some of my examples might be interpreted as involving semi trucks, but again it's not that sort of test. I didn't want to give all 20 examples but here's another that makes it clear it's not talking about semi trucks:

Nel caso in cui, a un passaggio a livello, ci si trova ancora sui binari col proprio veicolo quando le barriere cominciano a chiudersi, se si sta trainando un rimorchio occorre sganciarlo rapidamente e abbandonarlo sui binari per salvare almeno la motrice

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    Nel caso in cui, a un passaggio a livello, ci si trova ancora sui binari col proprio veicolo quando le barriere cominciano a chiudersi, se si sta trainando un rimorchio occorre sganciarlo rapidamente e abbandonarlo sui binari per salvare almeno la motrice
    That is clearly a semi truck, not a car towing a trailer.

Mary49

Italian
    But your question has already been answered. Why would you call it a motor vehicle when it's clearly talking about semi trucks and trailers?
    Ciao,
    queste sono domande del quiz per la patente B, che riguardano "Guida di veicoli con rimorchio", non autoarticolati o autotreni. La patente B non autorizza la guida di autoveicoli destinati al trasporto di cose come camion, veicoli per il trasporto di merci di massa complessiva a pieno carico superiore a 3.5t, anche se trainanti un rimorchio leggero. La parola "motrice" in queste domande è usata in senso generico, come sinonimo di "veicolo trainante".
    Per me Benzene ha suggerito correttamente.

__Tony__

English - American
    queste sono domande del quiz per la patente B, che riguardano "Guida di veicoli con rimorchio", non autoarticolati o autotreni...
    I agree. Thank you Mary49 for making things clear.

I suggest "towing vehicle".
    I agree, Benzene. In fact, your translation has helped me understand the answer to my question, which I would summarize in this way: 'motrice' carries 2 concepts:

(1) an engine which provides the driving force, and
    (2) a towing function.

As pointed out by london calling, these 2 concepts are combined in English with respect to trains: the word 'engine' is used in both senses (1) and (2). But in English, there is no such equivalent use of 'engine' or 'motor' to refer to (2) for ordinary cars. Of course, I'm only a beginner in Italian, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're talking about a train, it's the engine.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >