moon

< Previous | Next >

Lohent

Portuguese - Brazil
Hello everyone!

I was told that the word "sahar" means "moon" in hebrew. Is that true? Also, I would like to know how to say "moonfriend", or "moon friend", or even "friend of the moon".

Thanks a lot!

Yours
Lohent

• Tamar

Israel, Hebrew
    Sahar סהר is "moon". We also have two more words for it: levana לבנה and [yareax] ירח. "Sahar" and "levana" are literary, [yareax] is what we use otherwise.

Lohent

Portuguese - Brazil
    Sorry, it's "moon friend". But if you can tell me how to say "friend of the moon", that will help too.

Thanks a lot

Marnavot

Hebrew, English
    BTW, more about the words for "moon" in hebrew:
    Sahar- is more often used to represent a half-moon, or a not-full moon.
    Levana- is more often used to represent a full moon.

Lohent

Portuguese - Brazil
    I dont really know how to say it... I want something to name a group of people that like the moon. A group of people that like to study and observe the moon. So thats why I was thinking about "Moon Friends". I was told that "chaver" means friend, but I dont know if "Chaver Sahar" makes any sense.

scriptum

Israel / Hebrew, Russian
    BTW, more about the words for "moon" in hebrew:
    Sahar- is more often used to represent a half-moon, or a not-full moon.
    Levana- is more often used to represent a full moon.
    Sahar means crescent
    levana means full moon
    yareahh means moon (regardless of whether it is full or not).

cfu507

Hebrew
    חובבי ירח - chovevey yare'ach (moon fan) - that's what you're looking for (or that's what I think you're looking for) :)

In my opinion, they are not friends of the moon, they just like it. חבר would be used for people and animals.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Sahar סהר is "moon". We also have two more words for it: levana לבנה and [yareax] ירח. "Sahar" and "levana" are literary, [yareax] is what we use otherwise.
    I find that strange, because given the fact that ירח is ambiguous (it could mean "moon" or "month") I would have expected סהר or לבנה to be the common word for "moon".

GeriReshef

Hebrew
    I find that strange, because given the fact that ירח is ambiguous (it could mean "moon" or "month") I would have expected סהר or לבנה to be the common word for "moon".
    ירח yaréach = moon
    ירח yérach = month

סהר sáhar is probably related to sháher (month in Arabic),
    and moon is related to month in English.

< Previous | Next >