memory buffer / on screen grid

< Previous | Next >

Sandra

Mexico - Spanish
Hello, I am translating a software document. I have a sentence I don't know how to write in Spanish, it goes as follows:
Check the memory buffer and on-screen grid.
How can I translate "memory buffer" and "on-screen grid"?
If it helps, the document is about PIC microcontrollers software. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sandra

Mexico - Spanish
    I am afraid I only have a picture of the grid, which looks just like an excel sheet, but no more text.

I guess this will be the same way a grid from an excel spreadsheet will be translated.

prismaia

Spain
    Maybe could be, "comprobar el buffer de memoria y las celdas o entramado de la pantalla".
    Any suggestions?

Sandra

Mexico - Spanish
    I definitely like how it sounds... :D
    (Except from the "entramado" word, but cells work!)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    First, a word of caution: I am not an IT specailist, just a user.

The "official" translation of "buffer" within IT is "memoria intermedia", but in this case the "memory buffer" would be "la memoria intermedia de la memoria" :eek:

I know in Spain "official" translations are used (like "ratón" for mouse, "pinchar" for click, "disco compacto", etc...", but in Latin America we typically leave the technical words in Elnglish or make a fancy technical term from the word in English. Like "Me compré un compact de Luis Miguel", o "Debes clickear (o hacer click) en el icono"

I wuold leave "buffer" as "buffer". I have heard it in spoken Spanish at least. So it would be "el buffer de memoria".

About "on-screen grid", "grid" could be "grilla" o "cuadrícula". These are used for example in graphical softwares for the reference grid, snap to the grid, etc... However, I have never used these words to mean "a group of cells in an Excel sheet". In this context, I would use "tabla" o "planilla" (table or spreadsheet). "On-screen" pordría ser "de la pantalla" (of the screen), "en la pantalla" (in the screen), "que se ve en pantalla" (seen on the screen) o "que aparece en pantalla" (that gets displayed on the screen).

How does this sound?

Check the memory buffer and on-screen grid

Verificar el buffer de memoria y la planilla que aparece en pantalla

Sandra

Mexico - Spanish
    :rolleyes: I think I will use:

Revisar el buffer de la memoria y la tabla en pantalla.

This actually makes sense in the document.
    Thanks a lot!!!

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    Just one doubt: Why on Earth are we writting each other in English given that we are both Spanish speakers?

prismaia

Spain
    Because I don't know you, but I'd like to improve my English and I think this's a good way to do it and also because I'll be glad if anybody corrects my mistakes and I'll do the same with others. Cheers.

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    Point made and taken.
    As I said in my first post, I'd also like that anybody corrects my mistakes when they see them.

Here you have one: Unlike Spanish, names of languages and nationalities in English start with a capital letter: inglés ==> English, español ==> Spanish. This rule is hard to keep under control. I have to make an effort not to forget to capitalize those words (and of course sometimes I fail).

< Previous | Next >