Maka or Makapag

< Previous | Next >

neealio

English
Hi just wondering which would be more appropriate: Makatagalog or Makapagtagalog.

As in being able to speak tagalog.

• DotterKat

English (American)
    Makapagtagalog is the appropriate form to express the ability to speak Tagalog.

By contrast, the maka- prefix when attached to a noun would denote a predilection or liking for that noun. Thus, maka-Tagalog would mean a predilection for or a preference towards things pertaining to Tagalog culture in general (Tagalog food, art, dance, language, society, etc.). Other examples are maka-Amerikano, maka-Diyos, maka-tao, all denoting particular connections with the aforementioned nouns.

neealio

English
    Makapagtagalog is the appropriate form to express the ability to speak Tagalog.

By contrast, the maka- prefix when attached to a noun would denote a predilection or liking for that noun. Thus, maka-Tagalog would mean a predilection for or a preference towards things pertaining to Tagalog culture in general (Tagalog food, art, dance, language, society, etc.). Other examples are maka-Amerikano, maka-Diyos, maka-tao, all denoting particular connections with the aforementioned nouns.

What if i were to write Hindi ko makakita yung larawan.
    (I can't see the picture or I'm not able to see the picture.)

Would that be a proper use of the prefix "Maka" i think ive seen and heard people use it that way

DotterKat

English (American)
    If you add maka- to a verb, then it does mean the ability to perform that act. Makakita indeed means to able to see.
    However, the correct way to say your sentence is Hindi ko makita 'yung larawan.
    The construction Hindi ako makakita means you are not able to see anything at all, that is, you are blind. It can work if used as a clause as in Hindi ako makikita nang malayo (I cannot see distant images) or Hindi ako makakita nang mabuti dahil hindi ko suot ang salamin ko (I can't see well because I am not wearing my glasses).
    Having a direct object after Hindi ako makakita (as in Hindi ako makakita 'yung larawan) is wrong.

< Previous | Next >