Made of

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
There are different ways of saying 'made of' in Greek.

Αυτό το κουτάλι είναι φτιαγμένο από χαλκό
είσαι φτιαχτεί από χάλυβα;
το παράθυρο είναι κατασκευασμένο από γυαλί….. Το σακάκι είναι κατασκευασμένο από μαλλί

And perhaps more.

Can I use 'φτιαγμένο από' for everything?

• Perseas

Greek
    There are different ways of saying 'made of' in Greek.

Αυτό το κουτάλι είναι φτιαγμένο από χαλκό
    είσαι έχει φτιαχτεί από χάλυβα;
    το παράθυρο είναι κατασκευασμένο από γυαλί….. Το σακάκι είναι κατασκευασμένο από μαλλί

And perhaps more.

Can I use 'φτιαγμένο από' for everything?
    Yes, you can say "είναι φτιαγμένο από" or "είναι κατασκευασμένο από". The second one is more formal.
    Another way is to say: "έχει φτιαχτεί από" "έχει κατασκευαστεί από".

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    <είσαι φτιαχτεί από χάλυβα;>
    was the translation of the metaphorical question 'Are you made of steel?' Source: Pons, under 'Stahl'.

Helleno File

English - UK
    I think made of can just be από on it's own. Μια πόρτα από ξύλο - είναι από ξύλο.

Can I check about κατασκευάζω. It more often means construct or build. In English those two words are pretty much interchangeable with a slight difference in formality. I think συσκευάζω is for roads bridges, tunnels etc. but κτίζω is for houses, and similar buildings, e.g. banks, theatres. Have I got that right?

Perseas

Greek
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    <είσαι φτιαχτεί από χάλυβα;>
    was the translation of the metaphorical question 'Are you made of steel?' Source: Pons, under 'Stahl'.
    I can't find it in Pons. But in any case, "είσαι φτιαχτεί" is wrong.
    It should be either "είσαι φτιαγμένος,-η,-ο" or "έχεις φτιαχτεί".

Perseas

Greek
    I think made of can just be από on it's own. Μια πόρτα από ξύλο - είναι από ξύλο.
    This use specifies the material out of which something is made. Also with adjective: ξύλινη πόρτα.

Can I check about κατασκευάζω. It more often means construct or build. In English those two words are pretty much interchangeable with a slight difference in formality. I think συσκευάζω is for roads bridges, tunnels etc. but κτίζω is for houses, and similar buildings, e.g. banks, theatres. Have I got that right?
    We use "χτίζω" for a house, but we also use "κατασκευάζω". We say for example for a house that was built in 1983: "Έτος κατασκευής: 1983". Also, for products that are made in a X country we use "κατασκευάζω": "Made in Germany" is translated "Γερμανικής κατασκευής".
    "Συσκευάζω" is "to pack, wrap up", eg. "συσκευάζω ένα δώρο".

Last edited:

Perseas

Greek
    Thanks Perseas very helpful. So you can use κατασκευάζω for houses etc and roads etc. But κτίζω is houses etc but not roads etc?
    Yes, χτίζω/κτίζω is used for houses, towns, walls, old stone bridges. Also figuratively, eg. χτίζω την εμπιστοσύνη σε μία σχέση.

dmtrs

Greek
    Hi all!
    I would like to add that in Greek we don't build (χτίζουμε) ships or boats either; we either ναυπηγούμε or, less often, mainly for smaller vessels and (in my opinion) not in very good Greek, φτιάχνουμε or κατασκευάζουμε.

< Previous | Next >