mélyhűtó / fagyasztó

< Previous | Next >

leticiapuravida

USA
English (US) - Spanish (CR)
Sziasztok :)

I am currently reviewing a translation into English from Hungarian. I am not fluent in Hungarian, but I can get by, and the main purpose of my review is to make sure the English is colloquial and doesn't have any odd phrases resulting from the translation.

In the text, there are translations of the words mélyhűtó and fagyasztó -- mélyhűtó is translated as "deep-freeze" and fagyasztó is translated as "freezer". I don't recognize two different terms here in English (at least not American English). For me, the thing in your kitchen that keeps food frozen is called a "freezer", and there is no thing I would refer to as "a deep-freeze" (there is a verb, to deep-freeze, but not a noun). So I'm not really clear on what distinction is being made.

So do mélyhűtó and fagyasztó really mean two different things? Can someone explain a bit further?

• Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Hello,

I don't think there is a difference between mélyhűtő and fagyasztó even in Hungarian. (I would also think they are both freezer in English.)
    But it may be useful to see some sentences these words are in because there are several possibilities I can imagine.

Although they both can be just a part of a "normal" fridge, the one that is colder than the rest and where you put e.g. fresh meat, deep frozen vegetables, etc.,
    but I could imagine that e.g. mélyhűtő is used instead hűtőszekrény (fridge). (Fagyasztó surely couldn't be mixed up with a fridge.)
    Fagyasztó could also be used for a separate, independent "object" for deep frozen meat, veg, etc. but it is much bigger (than just a compartment inside a fridge), for more stuff (half a pig could go into it, together with other, smaller stuff)*.
    Although when both are this sort and size, you would usually call them fagyasztó/mélyhűtő láda or szekrény. (But I can imagine that people use the "full terms" less and less now because it is often unimportant whether it is part of a fridge or a separate "instrument" that is used for storing the food in question. However, when you want to buy one, you'll find the difference - at least between ...láda and ... szekrény. See here after "Fagyasztó típusai".)

*Mrs. Koslowsky (?) kept her husband in one of them in Desperate Housewives.;) (It wasn't "pig" that reminded me of that, of course!)

Last edited:

franknagy

Mélyhűtő= deep freezer.
    Fagyasztó =froster.

I cannot write yo an exact temperature below 0 °C.
    A mélyhűtő shall have much lower temperatura than a fagyasztó.
    I expect from a mélyhűtő t<-15 °C and from a fagyasztó t~-5 °.C

leticiapuravida

USA
    Thank you both for your explanations. I still need a bit more clarification, to be certain. Let me ask the question this way: If you have just the one thing in your kitchen, which has the regular cold part (for things you keep cold for daily use) and the very cold part (where you put ice cream or meat you will use later on, etc), and I tell you, "Put this in the freezer" -- what word would you use for freezer? Mélyhűtó or fagyasztó?

Thanks for the link, @Zsanna -- that's helpful. In the US, we'd call a fagyasztóláda a "chest freezer", and a fagyasztószekrény would be an "upright freezer".

@franknagy -- Thank you for the details. One thing, however: there is no such thing in English as a "froster".:cross: If both things keep food below 0 °C, then I believe in English we would call both of them a "freezer".

SReynolds

Hungarian
    The compartment of a refrigerator which is used to store things at temperatures below freezing is a mélyhűtő. The separate appliance is a fagyasztó(láda). Both should be translated into English as freezer. This is a distinction I've always made.

Note that this is in sharp contrast to franknagy's opinion, who thinks that mélyhűtő is the appliance with the lower operating temperature. To me, a mélyhűtő isn't as cold as a fagyasztó since the same coolant loop is responsible for cooling both compartments of a refrigerator.

The monolingual dictionary I consulted considers the two words syonyms, however:
    fagyasztó fn:
    TECH. [a hűtővel szembeállítva; nulla fok alatti hőmérsékletű zárt térre]
    GEN. mélyhűtő;
    SPEC. [felül nyíló, egy terű, nagyobb] fagyasztóláda;
    SPEC. BIZ. láda;
    SPEC. kissé PONGY. hűtőláda;
    SPEC. [oldalt nyíló, kisebb, ált. fiókos, rekeszes] fagyasztószekrény;
    SPEC. [hűtőszekrény részeként] fagyasztó rekesz;
    SPEC. mélyhűtő rekesz (beteszi a fagyasztóba)
    On a different note, an icebox is called a jégszekrény in Hungarian and similarly to how many older English speakers still use it when talking about a fridge, many Hungarians also seem to use jégszekrény when they refer to a modern refrigerator.

As for your question, what I would say is:

Rakd ezt be a hűtőbe. (= Put this in the fridge (the non-freezer compartment).)
    Rakd ezt be a mélyhűtőbe. (= Put this in the freezer (compartment).)
    Rakd ezt be a fagyasztóba. (= Put this in the freezer (appliance).)

Last edited:

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Although my dictionary doesn't make any difference either, I felt fagyasztó a little bit more informal...we haven't ever said mélyhűtő at home, but regions might vary

Last edited:

leticiapuravida

USA
    Thank you again, all, for the clarifications -- and your especially detailed/thorough one, @SReynolds! With this I feel confident that for the purpose of the text I am reviewing, we shouldn't be making a distinction in English. I think it's enough for students to know that if you want to say either mélyhűtó or fagyasztó in English, it's safe to say "freezer" in both cases.

Thanks! :)

francisgranada

Hungarian
    For me spontaneously mélyhűtő is something "bigger", a separate appliance, not part of a normal refrigerator commonly used at home. We call fagyasztó both the one built in the refrigerator and also the separate "small" one (often placed on top of the refrigerator).

leticiapuravida

USA
    Aha! What you posted, @francisgranada, makes me realize something I may have been leaving out in my understanding of the objects we are talking about.

We call fagyasztó both the one built in the refrigerator and also the separate "small" one (often placed on top of the refrigerator).
    When you say "the one built in the refrigerator", do you mean like this: http://trstil.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/danby_deluxe_compact_refrigerator_vngim.jpg
    ?

In that situation, in the US we'd still call that a freezer, or perhaps if we wanted to be very specific, a "freezer compartment". But maybe this is the distinction for some people -- maybe what @franknagy considers a "froster" :cross:?

And, @francisgranada, when you say the "separate 'small' one (often placed on top of the refrigerator", do you mean two separate appliances, or do you mean one of these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/energisk-refrigerator-freezer__0122812_PE279037_S4.JPG

And just to fill out our visual dictionary of freezers ;) here are two more images:

Chest freezer: http://www.staticwhich.co.uk/media/images/in-content/a-large-chest-freezer-328578.jpg
    Upright freezer (US) / Tall freezer (UK): http://www.freezerhub.com/images/kenmore-upright-freezer.jpg

francisgranada

Hungarian
    ... When you say "the one built in the refrigerator", do you mean like this: http://trstil.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/danby_deluxe_compact_refrigerator_vngim.jpg
    ?
    Yes.

... when you say the "separate 'small' one (often placed on top of the refrigerator", do you mean two separate appliances, or do you mean one of these ...
    Both. E.g. we have a separate appliance at home (put on top of the refrigerator, of course ;)). As they have normalized dimensions, there is almost no visual difference between the two solutions (two separate appliances and the one in your link).

All in all, for me mélyhűtő is a bigger appliance designed rather for industrial purposes, supermarkets, etc ... than for usage at home in the kitchen. But I can imagine also a kis (=little) mélyhűtő :D (the word itself doesn't tell us anything about the dimensions).

francisgranada

Hungarian
    Also, mélyhűtő is rather a technical term (literally "deep-cooler") while fagyasztó is linguistically a participle from the commonly used verb fagyasztani ("to freeze"). This might explain both the "impression" of mine and the "feeling" of Encolpius (post #6).

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Maybe, francis, but I think we have proved to what extent there is a confusion about usage and meaning. This is exactly why translators have a difficult job: they have to find the "right" term inspite of all the mixed up usage and sometimes mistaken impressions (of native speakers). (And this is partly why it is a profession and not just a "job anybody can do with sufficient knowledge of languages".;))
    So I maintain that the two are the same (even if they can appear in different forms).

< Previous | Next >