Levantine Arabic: تسوى الدنيا

< Previous | Next >

ssbws

Russian
Dear friends, what does an expression like تسوى الدنيا mean? For example, (from باب الارة الجزء الخامس الحلقة الاولى) : الشاي عندك يا ابو فارس تسوي الدنيا Does it mean : You tea , o Abu Fares, is excellent?
Like قد الدنيا? If so what does the opposite expression mean like لا تسوي الدنيا?

• ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Dear friends, what does an expression like تسوى الدنيا mean? For example, (from باب الارة الجزء الخامس الحلقة الاولى) : الشاي عندك يا ابو فارس تسوي الدنيا Does it mean : You tea , o Abu Fares, is excellent?
    Like قد الدنيا? If so what does the opposite expression mean like لا تسوي الدنيا?
    At what minute of the episode?

analeeh

English - UK
    I imagine it's بتسوى (not بتسوي), 'is worth', so the sentence is literally 'worth the world' (الشاي بيسوا الدنيا). But الدنيا here and elsewhere is more used as an expression of great quantity, so the whole thing should be interpreted as just a very positive comment.

That said, I agree with Ayed that it would be very helpful to have the timestamp.

ssbws

Russian
    Dear Analeeh, the timestamp is 19-15 . As a matter of fact I incidentally skipped the word كأسة شاي so the expression بتسوى was used feminine relating to كأسة.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    كاسة الشاي عندك يا أبو فارس بتسوى الدنيا
    literally "A cup of tea at your place / restaurant, Abu Fares, is worth the world."
    contextually "...is amazing / superb / second to none / etc."

ssbws

Russian
    Yes, Elroy, many thanks.
    By the way, the opposite to this phrase is لا تسوى شي :
    غيابك عن الحارة يا ابو ساطور ما بتسوى شي which might mean something like: Your absence away from the quarter is not good"

< Previous | Next >