Lakas maka+noun

< Previous | Next >

meetmeinnyc

English
Hi :)

What is the meaning of "lakas maka+noun?

Ex.
Lakas mong maka I love you mom.
Lakas mong maka Anne Curtis.

This one seems a bit different than the above examples..

Lakas mong maka loko.

Thanks so much in advance!

• DotterKat

English (American)
    The prefix maka + a common or proper noun (e.g. Anne Curtis) indicates a partisanship for or predilection towards that noun (maka-Pilipino, maka-Amerikano - strongly in favor of Filiipinos / strongly in favor of Americans) . Thus, the sentence Lakas mong maka Anne Curtis most likely means the person being spoken to is a huge fan of Anne Curtis. Another translation could be that maka Anne Curtis is actually a verb. The prefix maka + a verb indicates the ability to do something (makasigaw -ability to shout, makatalon - ability to jump). That would make the sentence Lakas mong maka Anne Curtis mean that the person is able to shout (or scream) the name Anne Curtis very loudly, perhaps upon seeing their favorite personality.

The same goes for Lakas mong maka I love you mom. This means the person being spoken to has just shouted (or screamed) "I love you mom" very loudly.

The last sentence Lakas mong maka loko is maka + the verb loko. Again this means the ability to do something (loko - to fool or dupe somebody). It means You're really very good at [fooling / duping / cheating / deceiving] other people.

< Previous | Next >