Portuguese to English 

Dictionary entry:
< Previous | Next >
M

Matt T

is labelled as a Portuguese, described as: "part of the Portuguese idiom lé com lé"

No such idiom exists right?

• casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    Further to the question of meaning: I see now that cré is synonymous with giz 'chalk'. Now, in French the word for this substance is craie. So maybe the proverb is simply some kind of Franco-Portuguese calque (no pun intended):

craie avec craie, lait avec lait > cré com cré, lé com lé
    'chalk with chalk, milk with milk'.

There's always been plenty of vernacular coming-and-going between Spain, Portugal and France, especially the South of France.
    Only a hypothesis, but it has this advantage that the proverb makes perfect sense if I'm right :)

MeggieBR

Dictionary Editor
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Further to the question of meaning: I see now that cré is synonymous with giz 'chalk'. Now, in French the word for this substance is craie. So maybe the proverb is simply some kind of Franco-Portuguese calque (no pun intended):

craie avec craie, lait avec lait > cré com cré, lé com lé
    'chalk with chalk, milk with milk'.

There's always been plenty of vernacular coming-and-going between Spain, Portugal and France, especially the South of France.
    Only a hypothesis, but it has this advantage that the proverb makes perfect sense if I'm right :)
    Yes, this idiom exists, but it´s not very popular. It means 'cada um na sua; cada qual com cada qual' (veja aqui). The word 'lé' alone doesn´t have any meaning.

< Previous | Next >