Korean/Japanese: Chunhyang

< Previous | Next >

crises

BCN
EU Spanish/Catalan
Hi!

I would like to know how to transcribe these Korean names into Roman alphabet. The problem is that I only have them in Hanja. They are the characters of the famous "Chunhyang Legend". Japanese katakana is provided in brackets:

春香 > Chunhyang [Chunyan]
夢龍 > Mongryong [Muron]
明華 > ... [Myonfa]
玉蓮 > ... [Onryon]
春蓮 > ... [Chunryon]
夜語 > ... [Yago]

Thank you in advance!!

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    crises, I think you have already gotten Korean transcription since I know that you have have given in brackets are not Japanese readings. They would be;

春香 shunkō
    夢龍 muryū
    明華 mēka
    玉蓮 gyokuren
    春蓮 shunren
    夜語 yago

I did not check all of them but they don't look like Mandarin readings, either.

Flam

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I understand what you meant by katakana now. Here are the Sino-Korean pronunciations of the kanjis as they are pronouned by themselves.

春 chun
    香 hyang
    夢 mong
    龍 ryong
    明 myeong
    華 hwa
    玉 ok
    蓮 ryeon
    夜 ya
    語 eo

In [ko-mc] transcription

My source is http://www.buddhism-dict.net/dealt/
    where an unregistered user can make up to ten queries per day.

crises

BCN
    EU Spanish/Catalan
    Thanks for the readings! I already had most of them, but I think there are some phonetic rules that make slight changes when kanjis are combined.

Thanks for your help, flaminius!

VirtuousV

Korean, (South) Korea
    This is a very late reply, but I hope if this can help you a little. Seeing this and your other question thread, I suppose you read Clamp's "신 춘향전(新春香傳)," a manga by Japanese artists. It was very interesting that they created a colorful story with a completely new viewpoint based on a classic Korean tale.

Anyway, here are the answers:
    春香 (춘향): Chunhyang
    夢龍 (몽룡): Mongryong
    明華 (명화): Myeonghwa
    玉蓮 (옥련): Okryeon
    春蓮 (춘련): Chunryeon
    夜語 (야어): Yaeo

I wonder what 夜語 means, though. Doesn't look like a person's name, and we don't have such a word in Korean.

< Previous | Next >