Katte kite moraimashita

Sulizhen

Spanish
Hello :)

Today, while reviewing some 3kyuu past tests, I've found that structure (context: "sono hon wa Tanakasan ni katte kite moraimashita") and I'm not really sure what it means -"this is the book that Tanaka has bought for me (and I received it from him)", maybe?. I have always had some problems with more-than-two-verbs structures (yes, I'm kinda slow for some things), so I'll be grateful if anyone could help me.

Thanks in advance,

Sulizhen

• Jana337

čeština
    Please always put the language in the thread title here in Other Languages. That way, you will save the time of people who have nothing to contribute to this thread. :)

Thanks for your cooperation,

Jana

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Sulizhen said:
    Hello :)

"sono hon wa Tanakasan ni katte kite moraimashita"
    A more-or-less accurate translation is, "That is the book that I asked Tanaka-san to buy and bring here."

Let's analyse step by step!

If the speaker wants to say a simple descriptive sentence, it would be, "Tanaka bought that book."
    Tanaka-san ga/wa sono hon-o kai-mashita.

Then, in order to add that Tanaka's book-buying was requested by the speaker, the sentence should be:
    Tanaka-san ni sono hon-o katte morai-mashita.
    This means, "I had Tanaka buy that book." This only implies that it was Tanaka that paid for the book at the cashier. The speaker may or may not be with Tanaka at the bookstore.

By adding "kuru" (literally, come), however, the speaker means that he sent Tanaka to buy the book. As morai (< morau) takes te-forms verbs, "kuru" should be conjugated to "kite". The sentence now looks:
    Tanaka-san ni sono hon-o katte kite morai-mashita.

Remember, there is no conjunction between the two te-forms.

Sulizhen

Spanish
    Flaminius said:
    A more-or-less accurate translation is, "That is the book that I asked Tanaka-san to buy and bring here."

Let's analyse step by step!

If the speaker wants to say a simple descriptive sentence, it would be, "Tanaka bought that book."
    Tanaka-san ga/wa sono hon-o kai-mashita.

Then, in order to add that Tanaka's book-buying was requested by the speaker, the sentence should be:
    Tanaka-san ni sono hon-o katte morai-mashita.
    This means, "I had Tanaka buy that book." This only implies that it was Tanaka that paid for the book at the cashier. The speaker may or may not be with Tanaka at the bookstore.

By adding "kuru" (literally, come), however, the speaker means that he sent Tanaka to buy the book. As morai (< morau) takes te-forms verbs, "kuru" should be conjugated to "kite". The sentence now looks:
    Tanaka-san ni sono hon-o katte kite morai-mashita.

Remember, there is no conjunction between the two te-forms.
    Thank you very much for your help and for the analyse :) When I first read the question, I was not really sure about the "full sense" of "morau". I do not really know if the verb could imply not only "receive" but "ask someone to do something for you and then be given this something", as you said. I thought it just implied that Tanaka bought a book for you, but maybe as a gift or something -I don't know if you understand me, I'm not very good at explanations ^^U...

Thanks again!!! (I'll be posting new doubts soon, I guess, hahaha)

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    Subarashii, Flaminius san ! But Sulizhen san sensed it correctly also : "that is the book I asked Tanaka-san to buy (for) me", "watashi/boku ni/no tame ni" is omitted here, as obvious, as often the case in japanese (iwanakuttemo wakaru).

< Previous | Next >