< Previous | Next >

Tenos

Arabic
السلام عليكم،
ممكن المساعد بترجمة
jointed wooden figures
Burmese Days وجدت العبارة دي في رواية
الفقرة بالكامل كانت بتوصف راقصة في أحد الاحتفالات في بورما:
In a moment the girl began to dance. But at first it was not a dance, it was a rhythmic nodding, posturing and twisting of the elbows, like the movements of one of those jointed wooden figures on an old-fashioned roundabout.

• djara

Tunisia Arabic
    Literally, it means دمى خشبية ذات مفاصل
    I'd translate it as دمى خشبية. I don't think it is necessary to translate 'jointed'

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I don’t think we should omit it; wooden figures need not be jointed, and “jointed” is the crux of the analogy here. ayed’s suggestion sounds forced and contrived to me. I would step away from the literal “jointed” and say something like بحركات أشبه بانثناءات تلك الدمى الخشبية.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    In Egypt, we call them العرائس الخشبية, and I don't think we need to add the specification of "jointed", because مسرح العرائس is known to the Egyptian public, and all the عرائس in it "dance" and have joints, so the image is حاضرة في ذهن القارئ المصري.

djara

Tunisia Arabic
    In Egypt, we call them العرائس الخشبية, and I don't think we need to add the specification of "jointed", because مسرح العرائس is known to the Egyptian public, and all the عرائس in it "dance" and have joints, so the image is حاضرة في ذهن القارئ المصري.
    That was also my original thinking.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    السلام عليكم،
    ممكن المساعد بترجمة
    jointed wooden figures
    Burmese Days وجدت العبارة دي في رواية
    الفقرة بالكامل كانت بتوصف راقصة في أحد الاحتفالات في بورما:
    In a moment the girl began to dance. But at first it was not a dance, it was a rhythmic nodding, posturing and twisting of the elbows, like the movements of one of those jointed wooden figures on an old-fashioned roundabout.
    بتتثنى كعود خيزان

< Previous | Next >