it is characterized by computer technology

< Previous | Next >

taraa

Persian
What does they mean by the bold part? For example how is a digital camera characterized by computer technology?

digital
When something is digital, it is characterized by computer technology.
Students prefer to take notes on their laptops and other digital devices.
(4000 Essential English Words, forth volume)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I haven't the faintest idea. I think this was written by somebody who didn't want to spend time thinking about the correct words to choose, so they picked a vague expression like "characterised by". Some people use "in terms of" for the same purpose.

"When something is digital, it operates on the same principles as/uses techniques developed from computer technology."

taraa

Persian
    I haven't the faintest idea. I think this was written by somebody who didn't want to spend time thinking about the correct words to choose, so they picked a vague expression like "characterised by". Some people use "in terms of" for the same purpose.

"When something is digital, it operates on the same principles as/uses techniques developed from computer technology."
    Many thanks. :)

taraa

Persian
    Thank you both so much. :)
    Its writer is Paul Nation, who is a native
    Paul Nation is an American-New Zealander leading language teaching methodology and vocabulary acquisition linguist researcher, mainly for English as a foreign language.

< Previous | Next >