Instruction in Swedish

< Previous | Next >
For a short research assignment I am looking for native Swedish speakers who would take a look at the following two fragments. They are excerpts from an instruction on how to arrange a couch, and I would like to know whether these fragments sound natural to native speakers, or that it is very clear that they are translated from another language.

"Om du viII flytte på soffan ar det viktigt att vara uppmärksam pa att soffan inte far Iyftas i tyget/lädret, kuddar eller andra lösa delar då dessa kan skadas. Flytta soffan genom att Iyfta upp den underifrån i ramen."

"Dårefter ryggstöden över hela ytan"

• Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    "Om du viIIvill flyttea på soffan arär det viktigt att vara uppmärksam pa att soffan inte farfår Ilyftas i tyget/lädret, kuddar eller andra lösa delar då dessa kan skadas. Flytta soffan genom att Ilyfta upp den underifrån i ramen."

"Dåärefter ryggstöden över hela ytan"
    There are a few typos in the text as quoted (see my corrections), but otherwise the Swedish is correct and seems very natural to me (albeit a bit formal as is often the case in instructions like this). Unlike the first fragment, however, the second one is not a complete sentence and cannot be properly evaluated without the context in which it (presumably) stands.

raumar

Norwegian
    But isn't there any context for the second fragment? There must be some sentences preceding it, since "Därefter" has to refer to something mentioned earlier.

Translated to English, the second fragment means something like "Then the backrests over the whole surface". Without any context, that does not make much sense. At least not to me.

Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    Translated to English, the second fragment means something like "Then the backrests over the whole surface". Without any context, that does not make much sense. At least not to me.
    Exactly; that's what I meant. How correct or appropriate these words are depends on the context.

It comes after "Under transporten kan möbelns stoppning och klädsel vara lite krökt och deformerad. Banka och forma sittkuddarna genom att stryka från mitten av dynorna mot kanterna ner och ner pa sömmarna mellan kuddarna / mellan kuddarna och armstöd.", but is a completely new point. Even though "Därefter" refers to this, it seems odd to me that there is no verb in this sentence at all.
    The English sentence here is "Afterwards the back cushions need to be tenderly clapped around the whole surface.", so I do not understand why the verb is left out in the Swedish fragment

raumar

Norwegian
    It makes sense with this context. The fragment should be read as "Därefter [do the same with] ryggstöden över hela ytan". The instruction from the previous sentence, banka och forma genom att stryka från mitten mot kanterna, seems to be implied. I suppose that the writer didn't want to repeat all of this.

So this is comprehensible, but is it natural? I don't know. We need a native Swedish speaker to answer that. (I am Norwegian).

< Previous | Next >