I'm guessing that she is Jamaican (because of her accent), but I'm not sure

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

Someone was recently asking me about a student I tutor on the internet. I think she is Jamaican, but I'm not sure since I've never asked her.
How could I say "I'm guessing that she is Jamaican (because of her accent), but I'm not sure" in Chinese?
For example, would it be 我猜她是牙买加人因为她的口音,可是我不确定。(Feel free to change this! It doesn't necessarily have to be 直译。意译 is even better!)

Thanks! :)

• SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    [colloquial] 她 (說話) 聽起來像來自牙買加的。但我沒問過她,不確定。

yuechu

Canada, English
    聽她口音像是牙買加人, 但不確定.
    Could there be a pause or a comma after 聽她口音 in this sentence? 聽她口音像是牙買加人, 但不確定. (I'm just trying to understand what the syntax is exactly)
    Or is there an ellipsis such as "Judging from her accent, it seems that (she) is Jamaican, but I'm not sure"?
    (Is the subject of 像是, "她"?)

I think that Chinese grammar is a lot more flexible than English grammar. :)

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    Could there be a pause or a comma after 聽她口音 in this sentence? 聽她口音像是牙買加人, 但不確定.
    Yes.
    is there an ellipsis such as "Judging from her accent, it seems that (she) is Jamaican, but I'm not sure"?(Is the subject of 像是, "她"?)
    Yes.

()(的)口音,(覺得)()像是牙買加人, ()不確定(她的口音就真是牙買加人的, 就算是, 我也不能斷言她是牙買加人).

Last edited:

corner1912

Chinese
    I tend not to pause in the sentence, because I consider 听他口音像是...,看他长相像是...as a whole.

If you add a comma after 听他口音, then it may be interpreted as a verb. But it means "according to his accent", right?

< Previous | Next >