I find it astonishing that he <should> be so rude to you

< Previous | Next >

woolim

in oxford dictionary, it is said :

- used after that after many adjectives that describe feelings
1) I'm anxious that we should allow plenty of time.
2) I find it astonishing that he should be so rude to you.

How can I express 2) differently?
Can I express 2) like following?
=> I find it astonishing because he is so rude to you.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Good answer from boozer.

Sentence 2 would only be said in a situation where he had in fact been rude to you, and so it could also be expressed as "I find it astonishing that he was {or is} so rude to you". The "should be" version makes it a bit more abstract and general instead of focusing on the specific rudeness that has occurred.

woolim

Good answer from boozer.

Sentence 2 would only be said in a situation where he had in fact been rude to you, and so it could also be expressed as "I find it astonishing that he was {or is} so rude to you". The "should be" version makes it a bit more abstract and general instead of focusing on the specific rudeness that has occurred.
    Thank you for your detailed explanation, Edinburgher.

I find his rudeness astonishing.
    Thank you for you tip, boozer.

Packard

USA, English
    I would note that "astonishing" does not necessarily mean "appalling" or even carry a negative connotation.

I found it astonishing that the reporter was so rude as to say to the President of the USA, "Do you think it is OK to lie to the public?"

"Astonishing" simply means "surprising". In the example above it, without more context, we don't know if it is carrying a positive or negative connotation.

< Previous | Next >