How to select user interface language in WR?

< Previous | Next >

mikehc

English - British
Hi - sorry, this may not be the right forum but I couldn't find anywhere else for this question: how can I keep the WR user interface in English?

I'm just starting to learn Greek, and for example, if I look up "bad" I get "κακός επίθ" - so κακός means bad, but what is επίθ ? I'm assuming - but only from previous use of WR in other languages - that it's an abbreviation for the Greek word for "adjective".

And most of the rest of the user interface is also in Greek - which makes it almost impossible for a complete beginner to use for anything other than the most basic lookups.

This is the case whether I'm in the English-Greek dictionary or the Greek-English.

Can anyone shed any light?

• L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    At the bottom left of your screen you can change the interface language. (Actually it is available on the top of the page too.)
    E109B006-F8B7-494E-A46A-2C9238FC469E.png
    You can see from the image mine is currently set to Français, by clicking on that word I can alter my choice back to English. I wasn’t aware that Greek was a choice. Within the dictionary itself, I don’t know that you can change the way it’s laid out.

Last edited:

mikehc

English - British
    Thanks for your reply. But that's the language for the forums - I can't find the equivalent switch for the WR dictionary pages themselves. For example, if I look up "pineapple" in French and hover over "nm" I get the explanation of a masculine noun in French - which is fine because my French is easily up to that:

WRinterface-FR.png

But the same thing in Greek is, at my level, virtually unintelligible!

WRinterface-GR.png

So how to get "ουσ αρσ" in English?!

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    how can I keep the WR user interface in English?
    We haven't set a way to change the user interface in the dictionaries. I feel that it would be too confusing to people. Many would change the interface language when the are trying to change dictionaries. What we have done is allow you to hover your mouse over many aspects of the interface to see the English equivalent. I see areas here that we can improve and we should have made the changes within a week or so.

mikehc

English - British
    OK thanks for your reply. I can't actually find anything (e.g. on the "pineapple" page from which I took the above screenshots) that I can hover over to get an English equivalent - all the popups that you get when you hover over something are in the same language as the word underneath?

But anyway, I'll look forward to seeing what you're able to improve in due course!

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    You used to be able to click on the part of speech to see a table that shows the English translation of it. You can still see that table if you follow the right link near the bottom of the left column. We should have the links working again next week.

< Previous | Next >