How do you decide if a stop consonant is voiced or voiceless?

< Previous | Next >

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
When a stop consonant comes in an internal position(not at the beginning) within a word or a phrase that you say as a whole and without a pause ( as "Столицы [Б]ольшие и шумные"), I cannot tell by timbre or the nature of the sound wether it is voiced or voiceless. Can you please help me? How do you distinguish a voiced stop consonant from its unaspirated voiceless counterpart?

○ Word examples with the voiced stops in the internal positions:

солДат
орГан
гороДа
стуДент

○ Word examples with the voiceless stops in the internal positions:

асТра
ленТа
оркесТр

○ Word examples with both voiced and voiceless stops in the internal positions:

синТаГма
оДумТься

• nizzebro

Russian
    I did a test, pronouncing evenly the words you provided paired with pseudo-versions where the voiced consonant is replaced by the voiceless one, or vice versa (. солДат, солТат .... синТаГма ... синДаКма ...). I recorded these and listened to them before I looked at the spectra.
    To be honest, they mostly sound the same. The only one little difference I noticed is that voiceless consonants slightly affect the dynamics, reducing energy on the following vowel or nasal, probably because the appearence of a voiceless consonant breaks the periodicity of the signal caused by the continious vibration of vocal cords, thus the energy (the mean of amlitude, or root mean square) suddenly falls down.
    So I would say that in the case of a voiced consonant, there is some resonance on the following vowel, while the voiceless one weakens the signal, due to the need to restart the vibration.

Last edited:

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
    I did a test, pronouncing evenly the words you provided paired with pseudo-versions where the voiced consonant is replaced by the voiceless one, or vice versa (. солДат, солТат .... синТаГма ... синДаКма ...). I recorded these and listened to them before I looked at the spectra.
    To be honest, they mostly sound the same. The only one little difference I noticed is that voiceless consonants slightly affect the dynamics, reducing energy on the following vowel or nasal, probably because the appearence of a voiceless consonant breaks the periodicity of the signal caused by the continious vibration of vocal cords, thus the energy (the mean of amlitude, or root mean square) suddenly falls down.
    So I would say that in the case of a voiced consonant, there is some resonance on the following vowel, while the voiceless one weakens the signal, due to the need to restart the vibration.
    Very interesting, nizzebro! Thank you so much.

Can I have a look at the sound spectruma?

I have no computer for now and I have trouble visiting some overseas websites where people have access to the pronunciations of words by native Russians, such as forvo.com, or I would be able to do some testing myself, as I did years ago.

Although the spectra might not help a lot with me, but might do, so I would like to see them.
    If you like please send them to my e-mail box: 1179366718@qq.com. Thank you.

nizzebro

Russian
    Ok, I'll send you the audio and screenshots. Note that the words асТра and оркесТр do not deserve any comparsion since it is hard to generate the sound [sd] and cд is pronounced as [zd] in сдать, сделать, cдрейфить; as well as any voiced consonant turns s into [z] e.g. сгладить, сбавить, cжать and this is mostly the case of the prefix с-.

Awwal12

Russian
    I cannot tell by timbre or the nature of the sound wether it is voiced or voiceless. Can you please help me? How do you distinguish a voiced stop consonant from its unaspirated voiceless counterpart?
    On Forvo you can find "ро́да" and "ро́та", 2 samples for each, as well as 2 samples for заго́н and 4 samples for зако́н. Do you positively percieve no difference between the voiced and the unvoiced releases there?

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
    Ok, I'll send you the audio and screenshots. Note that the words асТра and оркесТр do not deserve any comparsion since it is hard to generate the sound [sd] and cд is pronounced as [zd] in сдать, сделать, cдрейфить; as well as any voiced consonant turns s into [z] e.g. сгладить, сбавить, cжать and this is mostly the case of the prefix с-.
    The poor web connection! Anyway, I am finally be able to be here! Thank you very much nizzebro!

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
    On Forvo you can find "ро́да" and "ро́та", 2 samples for each, as well as 2 samples for заго́н and 4 samples for зако́н. Do you positively percieve no difference between the voiced and the unvoiced releases there?
    Very good word examples!

Awwal12

Russian
    It seems I somehow missed your initial reply regarding forvo.com, though. :( Do you still need any relevant audio samples? I may prepare and send some if necessary.

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
    It seems I somehow missed your initial reply regarding forvo.com, though. :( Do you still need any relevant audio samples? I may prepare and send some if necessary.
    Thank you very much, Awwwk12!

I would love the audio swmples. Please send some to me.

< Previous | Next >