Hoc voveo atque promitto

< Previous | Next >

KsSp

Russian (Moscow dialect) - Russia
Hello!
Here is one more sentence from Origen's Homilies on Luke, Homily 17.
'Hoc voveo atque promitto, si mihi humanum aliquid, quod non opto, contigerit, nihil aliud faciam, quam incontaminata at vidua perseverem.'
Here is an attempt to translate it:
'If what I wish and aspire to does not happen, although I do not even hope for it, I, when I have become a widow, will remain chaste.'
The context is the following: Origen is talking about Anna the Prophetess, who 'had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, and then was a widow until she was eighty-four' (Luke 2.36)
Could you please comment on the meaning of the sentence?
Thank you!

• Scholiast

Greetings once more, KsPs et alii

'This I vow and pledge: if any human fate befall me that I do not wish for, I would do nothing else than persevere in chaste widowhood'.

The sense may be more tractable in a paraphrase than in any attempt at a direct translation: 'regardless of whatever else may happen in my future human life, however undesirable, it is my firm intention and promise to remain celibate as a widow'.

I hope this is helpful.

Σ

Last edited:

KsSp

Russian (Moscow dialect) - Russia
    Greetings once more, KsPs et alii

'This I vow and pledge: if any human fate befall me that I do not wish for, I would do nothing else than persevere in chaste widowhood'.

The sense may be more tractable in a paraphrase than in any attempt at a direct translation: 'regardless of whatever else may happen in my future human life, however undesirable, it is my firm intention and promise to remain celibate as a widow'.

I hope this is helpful.

Σ
    Thank you, Scholiast! This is a good example of different approaches to translation which we once discussed.

< Previous | Next >