hoarfrost

< Previous | Next >

Włoskipolak 72

Polish
Bonsoir !

How do you say hoarfrost ( rime , white ice, white frost , a white layer of pieces of ice like needles that forms on objects outside when it is cold ) in your language?
Thanks ! :oops:
1280px-Snowy_trees_on_the_GR-16_between_Membre_and_Vresse-sur-Semois_(DSCF4800).jpg

Last edited:
  • Włoskipolak 72

Polish
    It might seem silly question.., but now I'll explain everything ! :oops:
    In Polish language ( and I think probably in other languages too .. !? ) we have '' different options ''.., and some of them were unknown for me !

Szadź , sadź /ʃaʨ̑/ - from old polish verb szady ( gray , hoar, coverded with gray) : rime ice , hoar frost.
    Fluffy white atmospheric sediment, consisting of ice crystals growing on thin objects on the surface of the earth , as well as any gray coating, e.g. on leaves, grasses or human temples - in the form of gray hair.

szron /ʃrɔ̃n/ - is an old, native word, created from the pre-Slavic rationalized form of the adjective * sernъ 'whitish, grayish, grayish', and this in turn - from the Proto-Indo-European element * ḱer which carries the meaning of grayish, dirty shades of colors.
    Szron is basically called any frozen, snow-like sediment: ice sediment from frozen fog - on the ground, on grass or tree branches, on cables and poles, as well as a hard ice shell in the snow or frozen balls of white snow.

szreń - cienka warstwa zbitego i zlodowaciałego śniegu, "frost formed on snow", in the professional language is 'a thin layer of compact, icy snow on the surface of the snow cover', either tiny balls of frozen snow, or even the frost itself..

śreź , old Pol. śrzeź - When frost sets in in the morning, a thin icy shell forms on puddles, ponds, ponds and small river bays. When we crouch down and look at it closely, we see that they are touching or overlapping thin flakes of ice. Such a phenomenon has an old Polish name !
    „Zima śniegiem by wełną pola odziewa, A śrzeź po ziemi jak popiół rozsiewa” – pisał Mistrz z Czarnolasu .

śreżoga , srzeżoga - it is an old and rare , almost forgotten word, which is not the obvious name of a certain - also not entirely obvious - natural phenomenon. Throughout history, this name has also been written as SREŻOGA, SRAŻOGA, ŚRZEŻOGA, . Originally it meant only 'to wither away , faded from the cold of a flower or a leaf' (by Linde, and also a century and a half later by Doroszewski)
    Pierwotnie oznaczała tylko ‘zwarzenie abo uschnienie od zimna kwiecia, liścia’ (tak u Lindego, tak też półtora wieku później u Doroszewskiego).
    Synonimy : rdza, rosa mączna, śrzeżoga, śreż .

okiść [ˈɔciɕt͡ɕ] - śnieg przymarznięty do gałęzi, zwisający w kształcie kiści ( snow frozen to the branches, hanging in the shape of a bunch )

by the way

gołoledź /ɡɔˈwɔlɛʨ̑/ · ślizgawica , oblodzenie - glaze , glazed frost , black ice

Attachments

Last edited:

nimak

Macedonian
    In Macedonian it is known under several names:

слана (slána) ['sɫana]​
    иње (ínje) ['iɲɛ]​
    сињак (sínjak) ['siɲak]​
    окит (ókit) ['ɔkit]​
    укит (úkit) ['ukit]​
    скреж (skréž) ['skrɛʒ]​

In Greek:

«Πάχνη» [ˈpa.xni] (fem.) --> rime < Classical feminine noun «πάχνη» pắkʰnē (idem), from PIE *peh₂ḱ-/*peh₂ɡ́- to make compact, congeal, cognate with Skt. adj. पज्र (pajra), solid, Saka pāysa- surface.

«Παγετός» [pa.ʝeˈtɔs] (masc.) --> hoar-frost, a thin layer of ice that covers snow < Classical masc. deverbative noun «παγετός» păɡĕtós and «πάγετος» pắɡĕtŏs --> freezinɡ conditions, hoar-frost < Classical athematic v. «πήγνυμι» pḗɡnumĭ

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    You caught me with difficult options in my language - Cymraeg/Welsh! :)

barrug (n.m.) which also means 'frost' (as well as 'hoar frost).
    glasrew (n.m) from 'glas' (blue/green/greyish-blue/silvery/greyish-white/grey) + 'rhew' (ice)
    llwydrew (n.m.) from 'llwyd' (grey/brown and gives the names 'Lloyd and Floyd) + 'rhew' (ice)

Why the difficult options? First of all, you have to decide on what colour term to apply from English for the last two. Secondly, Welsh /r/ is difficult for some of us who have a speech impediment - and there are two in barrug! Whereas, the sound [r] should be a voiced alveolar tap or trill in Welsh, some of us can only manage uvular rolls ...

marco_2

Polish
    It might seem silly question.., but now I'll explain everything ! :oops:
    In Polish language ( and I think probably in other languages too .. !? ) we have '' different options ''.., and some of them were unknown for me !

Szadź , sadź /ʃaʨ̑/ - from old polish verb szady ( gray , hoar, coverded with gray) : rime ice , hoar frost.
    Fluffy white atmospheric sediment, consisting of ice crystals growing on thin objects on the surface of the earth , as well as any gray coating, e.g. on leaves, grasses or human temples - in the form of gray hair.

szron /ʃrɔ̃n/ - is an old, native word, created from the pre-Slavic rationalized form of the adjective * sernъ 'whitish, grayish, grayish', and this in turn - from the Proto-Indo-European element * ḱer which carries the meaning of grayish, dirty shades of colors.
    Szron is basically called any frozen, snow-like sediment: ice sediment from frozen fog - on the ground, on grass or tree branches, on cables and poles, as well as a hard ice shell in the snow or frozen balls of white snow.

szreń - cienka warstwa zbitego i zlodowaciałego śniegu, "frost formed on snow", in the professional language is 'a thin layer of compact, icy snow on the surface of the snow cover', either tiny balls of frozen snow, or even the frost itself..

śreź , old Pol. śrzeź - When frost sets in in the morning, a thin icy shell forms on puddles, ponds, ponds and small river bays. When we crouch down and look at it closely, we see that they are touching or overlapping thin flakes of ice. Such a phenomenon has an old Polish name !
    „Zima śniegiem by wełną pola odziewa, A śrzeź po ziemi jak popiół rozsiewa” – pisał Mistrz z Czarnolasu .

śreżoga , srzeżoga - it is an old and rare , almost forgotten word, which is not the obvious name of a certain - also not entirely obvious - natural phenomenon. Throughout history, this name has also been written as SREŻOGA, SRAŻOGA, ŚRZEŻOGA, . Originally it meant only 'to wither away , faded from the cold of a flower or a leaf' (by Linde, and also a century and a half later by Doroszewski)
    Pierwotnie oznaczała tylko ‘zwarzenie abo uschnienie od zimna kwiecia, liścia’ (tak u Lindego, tak też półtora wieku później u Doroszewskiego).
    Synonimy : rdza, rosa mączna, śrzeżoga, śreż .

okiść [ˈɔciɕt͡ɕ] - śnieg przymarznięty do gałęzi, zwisający w kształcie kiści ( snow frozen to the branches, hanging in the shape of a bunch )

by the way

gołoledź /ɡɔˈwɔlɛʨ̑/ · ślizgawica , oblodzenie - glaze , glazed frost , black ice
    You can also add zamróz to this list (osad lodowy, tworzący się na murach, ścianach itp. podczas odwilży następującej po długotrwałych mrozach) - you can find this word in "The Trilogy" by Henryk Sienkiewicz and still hear in Greater Poland (Wielkopolska). :)

Włoskipolak 72

Polish
    You can also add zamróz to this list (osad lodowy, tworzący się na murach, ścianach itp. podczas odwilży następującej po długotrwałych mrozach) - you can find this word in "The Trilogy" by Henryk Sienkiewicz and still hear in Greater Poland (Wielkopolska). :)
    Thanks Marco zamróz kojarzy mi się także ,( it reminds me of ) z przymrozkiem , przymrozek = ground frost , freeze ! :oops:

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    Catalan:

gebre /ˈʒeβɾə/ (or gebrada)​
    Another possibility would be gelada /ʒəˈlaðə/ or glaçada /gləsáðə/, both from words for ice (gel, glaç).​

< Previous | Next >