Hindi/Urdu: if not for

< Previous | Next >

Centemare

English, French
Hello everyone!

I have been encountering some difficulties conveying this meaning in a sentence. The formulation I am looking for is the following:

- I am sure of nothing but this.
- Why do I do this, if not for him?
- I am nothing if not a man of my word.

Basically - emphasis put on one person/idea/concept/aspect, as a way to convey that it is the only one that matters. I am certain I am overlooking something very obvious, but I would love to hear some input from native speakers.

Thank you in advance!

• aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    There are probably a lot of ways to convey this nuance. Here are three different strategies that come to mind, one for each of the sentences you asked about:

1. mujhe is baat se zyaadaa yaqiin kisii baat par nahiiN hai. [using "nothing more than this" type constructions]
    2. maiN ye usii ke liye to kartaa huuN. [using hii]
    3. maiN agar iimaandaar nahiiN huuN to kuchh bhii nahiiN huuN. [using a somewhat literal translation]

I'm sure our friends will chime in with many more options [and comments about my suggestions!] :)

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hello everyone!

I have been encountering some difficulties conveying this meaning in a sentence. The formulation I am looking for is the following:

- I am sure of nothing but this.
    - Why do I do this, if not for him?
    - I am nothing if not a man of my word.

Basically - emphasis put on one person/idea/concept/aspect, as a way to convey that it is the only one that matters. I am certain I am overlooking something very obvious, but I would love to hear some input from native speakers.

Thank you in advance!
    Urdu.

1. is ke sivaa mujhe kisii (bhii) chiiz par yaqiin nahiiN.

2. usii ke liye nahiiN to maiN yih kyoN kartaa huuN.

3. apnii baat kaa pakkaa shaxs nahiiN huuN to kuchh (bhii) nahiiN huuN.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >