Help needed to identify a language in Devanagari script

< Previous | Next >

Louis XI

French (France) - English (US)
Hello all,

I would be very grateful if a native speaker could:

1) confirm if the greeting in Hindi in the image below is correct, and

2) identify the other language in Devanagari script, below the Russian word ПРИВЕТ, and confirm if the greeting is correct as well.

Thank you very much.

Affiche Haut Saint-Jean.JPG

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    It says "Hello" and "Namaskaar" in Devanagri script. The word is correct. The language is Hindi

I am not a "native" speaker.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    "BUENOS DÍAS" is missing the accent mark on the "I".
    And I don't know if the thing written in Arabic characters at the top right acceptable in any language, as it is using the isolated forms of all letters.

Dib

Bengali (India)
    Note that "Namaskaar" has been written in a slightly non-standard orthography. Technically, it is not wrong, but nobody writes it that way - normally an "sk" ligature is used. Also, "Namaskaar" is not the most common greeting in Hindi. It is understandable, and closely related languages - not written in Devanagari, like Punjabi and Bengali - use it widely, but in Hindi "namaste" is the more common form. Among the large languages that use Devanagari, Namaskaar seems to be the usual formal greeting in Marathi.

As for the Arabic part - it is a completely botched up attempt at "SabaaH al-khayr" (Good morning).

Louis XI

French (France) - English (US)
    Note that "Namaskaar" has been written in a slightly non-standard orthography. Technically, it is not wrong, but nobody writes it that way - normally an "sk" ligature is used. Also, "Namaskaar" is not the most common greeting in Hindi. It is understandable, and closely related languages - not written in Devanagari, like Punjabi and Bengali - use it widely, but in Hindi "namaste" is the more common form. Among the large languages that use Devanagari, Namaskaar seems to be the usual formal greeting in Marathi.

As for the Arabic part - it is a completely botched up attempt at "SabaaH al-khayr" (Good morning).
    Yes, some native Arabic speakers pointed that out as well.
    Thank you.

littlepond

Hindi
    As @Dib jii mentioned, नमस्कार is the usual spelling, but नमस्ते is the more prevalent form in Hindi (or "namashkaar," though that is not used much in writing).

I am curious if the Creole word "Bonjou" (without the "r") is really meant to be there.

< Previous | Next >