go around shouting smth

< Previous | Next >

j-Adore

English (BrE)
  • "Вовсе не обязательно всем все сами разрешать. Но ведь ты не будешь кричать всей группе о своей ошибке, а?"

I was just having a conversation with my colleagues, and in the 2nd sentence, I wanted to say something like: "Then again, you don't just go around shouting your mistake to the whole team". How is this pejoratively used "go around <~ing>" generally expressed in colloquial Russian?

Last edited:
  • Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Насколько я помню, суть феминизма заключается в расширении прав женщин, а не в том, чтобы повсюду кричать, что представители мужского пола уроды и притесняют бедных женщин. (yandex)
    ... the essence of feminism is to push for the rights of women, not to go around shouting that men are monsters who oppress downtrodden women.

Okkervil

Russian - Russia (NW)
    Здесь "ходить" действительно выглядит ненужным буквализмом (хотя и возможным).
    В сообщениях #3 и #4 даны хорошие примеры (где "кричать" можно вполне заменить на "рассказывать", если надо чуть смягчить перевод).

hopeItSoundsGood

Russian
    • "Вовсе не обязательно всем все сами разрешать. Но ведь ты не будешь кричать всей группе о своей ошибке, а?"

I was just having a conversation with my colleagues, and in the 2nd sentence, I wanted to say something like: "Then again, you don't just go around shouting your mistake to the whole team". How is this pejoratively used "go around <~ing>" generally expressed in colloquial Russian?

Oh , in all fairness, it's a hard question and certainly you don't want to translate it literarily as someone proposed. First of all, "Go around doing something" is a completely neutral expression. It is neither good nor bad. But "Кричать на каждом шагу" has a negative connotation in Russian, on top of that, "Ты же не будешь кричать на каждом углу о своей ошибке своей команде." would be an awkward sounding sentence, it doesn't sound natural nor it makes sense, actually.

You could put it this way though: "Ты же не будешь кричать на каждом углу о своей ошибке." but this sentence doesn't say anything about the team thus some important context of the original is lost.

I'm of the opinion that the closest translation would be something along these lines: "Да и потом ты же не будешь к каждому в команде (группе) подбегать и кричать о своей ошибке."

By the way, your translation is pretty good, but the word кричать seems to be out of place here...can't explain why, I would use "докладывать" instead and then it would be perfect.

And a little correction: Вовсе не обязательно всем все самим разрешать.

Hope it helps.

< Previous | Next >