Get tired of tyrannizing the world

< Previous | Next >

CarlitosMS

Spanish - Spain
Hello everybody

I would like to know an accurate and natural-sounding translation in Greek of this sentence:
Get tired of tyrannizing the world and don't make us suffer.

All the best
Carlos M.S.

• ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Hey Carlos,

I'm not entirely sure I got your meaning. Are you telling someone to stop tyrannizing the world and making us suffer?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Your sentence is problematic, because in English you can't easily order someone to tire of something: (You can) Tire of me if you will, but I shall never tire of you.

So your English translation should be something like "Give up tyrannising the world and cease making us suffer".

My attempt to put that into Greek:
    Σταμάτα να τυραννίζεις τον κόσμο και πάψε να κάνεις τους ανθρώπους να υποφέρουν.

You might use the Greek subjunctive instead of the imperative, to express your wish that the volcano should stop: Να σταματήσεις να τυραννας... Let's see what native speakers have to say.

ianis

Portuguese - Portugal
    Out of curiosity what about κουράσου? (Edited after noticing it is singular)

Last edited:

Perseas

Out of curiosity what about κουράσου?
    κουράσου is grammatically correct, but the sentence is problematic for the same reason that the English sentence is problematic, as velisarius explains.
    Your sentence is problematic, because in English you can't easily order someone to tire of something: (You can) Tire of me if you will, but I shall never tire of you.

ianis

Portuguese - Portugal
    Thank you Perseas, it seems I misread what velisarius wrote and read "can" instead of "can't". My apologies.

< Previous | Next >