financial advice disclosure

< Previous | Next >

Tmillsto

English
Hello all,

I am translating a legal disclosure for an investment advising company that emphasizes that all information is educational and does not guarantee return. I have included an excerpt below. The part in bold is the sentence I am having trouble with. The rest is there for context.

"Therefore, it should not be assumed that future performance of any specific investment or investment strategy (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended and/or undertaken by Elles Management, or any non-investment related content, will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation,"

-The first more minute question is what the word undertaken means in this sense and then how that would be translated to Spanish. I only know undertaken in the sense of a task. I used apoyado in its place for now though I am sure that is probably not similar enough to the intended meaning.
="igualará algún nivel histórico de rendimiento..." I don't know where to put corresponding or indicated which I think individually translate as correspondiente and indicado. Besides providing the translation, if someone has the grammatical reasoning of the adjective placement for future reference that would be helpful too. Thanks for any help you can provide!

• Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    Its always difficult to translate multiple modifiers in a chain of legalese
    See if this helps:
    The first part: “estrategias recomendadas o implementadas”
    I believe it would read better if there was a “to” after “equal”, otherwise the verb “to equal” in this a case should read more like “achieve”: alcanzar
    The complete phrase, in my view, in context, should read: “ alcanzar niveles correspondientes del rendimiento histórico indicado”

My approach to this issue is as follows:
    You are modifying the performance levels, as correponding, historical and indicated. In the relative importance of the modifiers: “corresponding, historical, performance levels” comes first, as it is the basis of the disclaimer, and it is easy to understand as a separate phrase. An additional element, “indicated” means that it has been somehow referenced or disclosed In the past. In Spanish one may rarely throw 3 modifiers in sequence. “Indicado” is a separate element that may be placed outside the chain, in this case at the end of the sentence.

Saludos,

Last edited:

Tmillsto

English
    Its always difficult to translate multiple modifiers in a chain of legalese
    See if this helps:
    The first part: “estrategias recomendadas o implementadas”
    I believe it would read better if there was a “to” after “equal”, otherwise the verb “to equal” in this a case should read more like “achieve”: alcanzar
    The complete phrase, in my view, in context, should read: “ alcanzar niveles correspondientes de rendimiento histórico indicado”

Saludos,

< Previous | Next >